Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdroesch
Contributor
Contributor

Replace data in existing fields

Hi,

I have an app that is doing a binary load of our data model which has a lot of data. I use this app to bring in data from excels and other data sources. I wanted to see if there is a simple loading script solution for replacing values in a field. For example, in my data model I have a table called “Base Table” that has about 100 column which is unique on the field “ItemNo”. I have five fields in this table that are called “Value_1”, “Value_2”, “Value_3”, “Value_4” & “Value_5”.  I have about 90k distinct values for “ItemNo”.  I have an excel file that I am loading in following my binary load that contains data for 1,000 of the “ItemNos” that are in the data model. In this excel, I have data for the 5 “Value” fields that I feel are more accurate than what is in my data model. So I see two possible options. I could load in these 5 fields from my excel with a different naming convention (for example, “Value_1_External”, “Value_2_External”…) or I could somehow replace the data for these 5 fields for just these 1,000 “ItemNos”.

I really would rather do the second option. I wrote a script that does the following steps:

1. Load in excel file into table “New Data”
  2. Create a Mapping table for just the “ItemNos” that exist in the excel file.
  3. Create a new table called “Temp” which loads in all of the data from my “Base Table” for ItemNos that are in the excel. I use the Mapping table to isolate to my population that is only in the excel.
  4. Drop the fields “Value_1”, “Value_2”, “Value_3”, “Value_4” & “Value_5” from “Temp”
  5. Left Join data from “New Data” to “Temp”. This will bring in the correct data for fields “Value_1”, “Value_2”, “Value_3”, “Value_4” & “Value_5”
  6. Concatenate to “Temp” table all data from “Base Table” for only ItemNos that aren’t in the excel. Again I use the Mapping table to isolate to my population that is only in the excel.
  7. Drop “Base Table”. Rename “Temp” to “Base Table”

Please let me know if there is a process that is easier than this.

Thank you,

Brian

0 Replies