Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newuser
Creator II
Creator II

Set Analysis and Dollar Sign Expansion

Hi - I've searched the community on this question but am still a bit unclear. I know dollar sign expansion is used as a replacement value, especially when you have a measure or a function, but in the example below, I'm using all fields from the load script, no functions or variables. Can someone explain why the 2nd option below works? The only difference is, I'm using dollar sign expansion.

Doesn't work (no syntax errors, but result incorrect/too low):

sum({1 <Month_Placed ={"<=$(=CurrMonth)"}, TranYr = {PrevYr} >}
if(placedt_all=aggr( nodistinct max({1} placedt_all),acctpol), Placed))

Works (more reasonable end result):

sum({1 <Month_Placed ={"<=$(=CurrMonth)"}, TranYr = {$(=PrevYr)} >}

Labels (1)
9 Replies
vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

If your  variable is defined with and = sign or not also makes a difference

You can also look at the expression editor to see how your variables are being evaluated

qlikCommunity1.PNG

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
newuser
Creator II
Creator II
Author

What I'm asking about is NOT variables but fields. Those blogs talk about variables. My question is, why does a dollar sign expansion  make a difference for FIELDS? THank you.

marcus_sommer

{PrevYr} isn't referencing to a field else it's treated as a string like:  {'PrevYr'} and {$(=PrevYr)} evaluates the content of the $-sign expansion at first which means in this case: only(PrevYr) and used then this result.

Beside this you couldn't compare a field against a field within a real set analysis because it worked like a selection on a column-level and not on a row-level. You may use something like: ... FieldX = {"=FieldA=FieldB"} ... but it's just an if-loop with another syntax.

- Marcus

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

So PrevYr is a field??

You absolutely don't need to $ expand a field, why are you even trying this?

Again the same thing applies, you can see how your expression evaluates in the expression editor when you $wrap a field

If you want to do a row level comparison try as below 

sum({1 <Month_Placed ={"<=$(=CurrMonth)"}, TranYr = {"=TranYr=PrevYr"} >}

Or 

sum({1 <Month_Placed ={"<=$(=CurrMonth)"} >}

if(placedt_all=aggr( nodistinct max({1} placedt_all),acctpol)  And TranYr=PrevYr , Placed))

Vineeth Pujari
newuser
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@marcus_sommer , then I think you're saying my dollar sign expansion below is "ok" ? Or is the best practice to use the second method you mentioned, i.e., FieldX = {"=FieldA=FieldB"}? Either way, I seem to be getting the same result. Trying to think in what situations would the result be different.

TranYr = {$(=PrevYr)} 

newuser
Creator II
Creator II
Author

@vinieme12 , I seem to be getting the same result whether I use the syntax below or the suggested one above, i.e., TranYr = {"=TranYr=PrevYr"} .  Can you give me a hypothetical example or scenario where the syntax below would NOT work?

TranYr = {$(=PrevYr)} 

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

TranYr = {$(=PrevYr)}

$(=FieldName)  can only return a Single value; So if there are different values in Field it will return null

Correct way to avoid this is to use an aggregation function

TranYr = {"$(=Max(PrevYr))"}

Try $(=PrevYr)  on below data

raw:
Load * Inline [
ID,TranYr,PrevYr
];

Vineeth Pujari
marcus_sommer

It depends on data, data-model and UI requirements if applying if-loops or statements like {"=FieldA=FieldB"} are suitable or not. In general there are better approaches possible, for example making such checks already within the script in a flag-field and then querying this flag in the UI or creating a data-model which has only a single year-field.

Not each part of the requirements might be solvable in an optimized way - at least not all together ... Sometimes the second/third best approach is practically enough. It depends ... 

- Marcus