Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

US Map show only selected State

Hi everyone, can we ask Qlik Sense to show only one selected state, say NY state instead of whole country, on a map? I'm using point layer map with OpenStreetMap background, is it possible to do so?

Thanks!

X

8 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

You could adjust the expression in the point layer to focus on a geographic area , as long as the value of the geographic area is represented in your data model somewhere.

Below, i have a global data set but on the right i am using a SET ANALYSIS statement within the expression to focus the context of the points to a geographic area. In this case its defined by City  which i have defined as Portland or San Francisco. 

sum( {$<City={'Portland','San Francisco'}>} Sales)

If you have State it could be something like this for you:

sum(  {$<State ={'New York'}>}  Sales)

Capture1.PNG.pngCapture2.PNG.png

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jonathan,  thanks but what if I need the map to be cut into state map, say <State ={'New York'}>, then I only want the map to show NY state not other states?

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Consider using a KML file of NY State in lieu of a slippy map server as what i'm describing really just amounts to a zoom which is not state specific.

You can use KML files as data source in Qlik Sense  to load state specific maps and shows points on the map too. 

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Xuan - with respect to what Jonathan is stating in regards to KML see this video as an example.

Qlik Sense Desktop - Using Maps (Beta) Chart Object (video)

Please mark the appropriate replies as helpful / correct so our team and other members know that your question(s) has been answered to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Mike

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I tried TX kml file. there's no point layer, only area layer, which I cannot make bubble chart with.

Actually my problem could be solved if I zoom -in my US map with point layer, but when I zoom in, there's too much details and the state boundary disappears. If it only shows a state boundary with dots on it, then my problem is solved.

Too much details on the map sometimes is not what we want....

X

Not applicable
Author

Hi Michael, thanks for that!

X

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

In the 1.0 release, Qlik Sense should also support point data from KML (area / polygons has been there since beta so you are correct there). I haven't tried it but i believe it is supposed to be possible.

For the zoom approach, have you tried all the slippy map servers to see if there is an optimum zoom.  If there is i think we may be able to manually adjust your expression or even data model to 'anchor' it correctly as a starting point.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Xuan,

You can do this by keeping the Autozoom on in presentation tab, so whenever you select state or country from your selection it will zoom into that part of the Map. This is possible in point layer only not in  area layer type.

Regards,

Rajan Kasbe