Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unpivot Data Multiple Times in Qlik Sense

Hi All,

I have a sample survey data that contains responses from different questions (Q1, Q2 and Q3). Q1 is straight forward questions with Strongly Agree, Agree that kinds of answers. For Q2 and Q3, they are multiple choice questions that allow users  to pick more than 1 answer. Also note that user may skip Q2 and go ahead to Q3.

Now, the raw data is stored like below:

User ID     Q1                              Q2 - Option 1     Q2 - Option 2      Q2 - Option 3     Q3 - Option 1     Q3 - Option 2     Q3 - Option 3

1               Strongly Agree                    Y                         Y

2               Disagree                                                                                                              Y                         Y

3               Agree                                   Y                                                  Y

4               Strongly Disagree                                                                                                Y

5               Neutral                                                                                                                 Y                         Y                         Y

If my objective is to create a bar chart to show how many user selected option 1/ option 2/ option 3 for Q2 and how many users selected option 1/ option 2/ option 3 for Q3, is that I need to unpivot the data as below? If yes, I would like to rearrange the data as follow for further analysis:

User ID     Q1                              Q2 - Option     Q2 - Response      Q3 - Option     Q3 - Response

1               Strongly Agree               Option 1                  Y

1               Strongly Agree               Option 2                  Y 

2               Disagree                                                                               Option 1                 Y

2               Disagree                                                                               Option 2                 Y

3               Agree                             Option 1                    Y

3               Agree                             Option 3                    Y

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am not sure if unpivot the data is the only way to achieve my goal to analysis the survey data. Kindly let me know how can I unpivot the data 2 times for Q2 & Q3 responses OR let me know if there is workaround.

Thanks in advance!!!

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi All,

Perhaps my question is not clearly illustrated, let me show a sample data set for my original data:

Picture1.jpg

My data set is like above, what I want to do now is to plot a bar chart in QlikSense showing the distribution of the choices for each question. (i.e. how many % of the users selected option 1 in Q2, how many % of the users selected option 2 in Q2, etc.).

Can anyone give me some idea how can I achieve my goal? Is that I have to unpivot my original data set first? If yes, how to unpivot the data few times (assume I have to unpivot the table once for each question)?

Hope it helps to better illustrate my question. Thanks.