Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Binay_Sharma
Contributor III
Contributor III

Using same dimensions in a sheet with different field settings.

Hello,

I am rookie when it comes to QlikSense but trying to learn it.

I was thinking of a scenario. I have a dimension called AsofDate. I configured it on the Field Settings to make only one selection. This is working fine.

In same sheet, I want to bring the same dimension. This time I want to have multiple selections. Since I had clicked it to have it one selection at field level, all the AsofDate dimension I am pulling is behaving same. 

I even tried to assign different alternate state. 

What is the best way to tackle this? In short, same dimension - one using with just one field setting selection - other with multiple selections?

I am pretty sure, there must be easy solution. 

Thanks in advance.

Binay 

Binay_Sharma_0-1615297142022.png

5 Replies
Binay_Sharma
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

To be more realistic. Let's say using same dimension with single selection in one sheet and then have it with multiple selections on another sheet. 

When I change the field settings, looks like it is applied to everywhere. 

Or
MVP
MVP

"Always one selected" means just that - there's always going to be one selected. If you want it to allow multiple selections, disable "Always one selected" and instead use calculation conditions within your objects to prevent display if multiple values have been selected. Alternatively, you could create a second field and not apply "Always one selected" to that one, but you may need to mess around with your information schema to make it work separately of the other one.

Binay_Sharma
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Or. Yeah, I don't want to enforce it at schema level. Yo mentioned " instead use calculation conditions within your objects to prevent display if multiple values have been selected. "

Do you have any sample calculation condition for that?

Also, I understand enabling and disabling "always one selected", but from end users perspective, we would not want them to enable or disable this feature. That is why I am thinking to configure at the development level. 

Thanks

Binay 

Or
MVP
MVP

A calculation condition would typically read something like Count(distinct FieldName)=1 with a message reading ='Please select a single FieldName value', but you can obviously set your own message. You won't get the Always-one-selected behavior this way, though - people will be able to select multiples or clear the selection entirely.

One other option to consider - some third-party extensions will allow you to set "Always one selected" for a specific filter object. This might fit your situation, though it can still result in the field having multiple selections if the user modifies the selections using e.g. Current Selections, or travels back and forth between sheets.

Binay_Sharma
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks Or. Let me take a deep dive into this.