Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oddgeir
Contributor III
Contributor III

Why is there no programming interface for sheet setup?

I am now in a migration situation, where everything I have done in our QlikSense instance last two years needs to be migrated to a new environment. This brings back a question I have had since I started with QlikSense: Why on earth is there now way to programatically configure a sheet?

It starts already with load script. I neatly set up the code to load the dimensions, and I have them all lined up. I could easily copy a column of definition and add the necessary to set up a table, but no, I have to go to sheet, choose a chart, and meticulously fill in the form for each of the dimensions. 

Now that I'm migrating it's even clearer how stupid this is. For all my load scripts I had them copied and adjusted within  a day. But with the visualization in the sheets I have to use evenings and weekends just to puzzle everything together. 

There should at least be some way to kick-start a table with simple instructions, and you don't have to keep an option to interact with existing graphs. It can't be too hard to enable an input form in JSON, XML, JavaScript or whatever, that can define the most basic stuff. Even a plain  option to define only the dimensions would help, and then you could add option to define other parameters as a bonus. 

I understand that some might hesitate in giving an access to script tables, because it would open a dilemma on how to handle all the inputs gracefully. But can you P L E A S E, just give me an option to start a table by a very basic definition, and you are free to just drop everything if my input doesn't comply with your expectations. It would save me a lot of time and frustration, and most likely a mouse arm. 

Labels (1)
2 Replies
barnabyd
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

G'day @oddgeir,

It's an interesting idea to script the user interface. I much prefer scripting to point-and-click interfaces.

However, for a migration, are you making use of the Export/Import feature to available in QMC in the Apps section. 

Cheers. Barnaby.

Barnaby Dunn
BI Consultant
oddgeir
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi. 

Thanks for the tip, I might chose this path for the remaining apps. 
The QMC tool is available, but export jobs has to be ordered from another team. Initially I thought it might be a good idea to revise the applications, but that's until i encountered the pain of re-establishing the visuals. 

However this is a side track. The QMC tool doesn't change the fact that establishing graphs based on data I already have is a pain, regardless of whether I have an example in an other environment or I am establishing new data in the load script. My main issue is that I'm forced to go through point&click forms to fill in data I could paste in one big block if I were given an interface for it.