Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FernandaNava
Partner - Contributor III

"if" Expression treated as a mesure by Qlik instead of dimension

Hello, 

I have several columns with integer numbers representing ages. I have also a column for birthdate and another column with a reference date. I'm calculating an age using these two dates, and highlighting the values on the other columns that are lower than this calculated age. 

I tried doing this as a flag with an if statement but even though i don't get an expression error, after clicking applied I get "Invalid dimension". It seems to be treating it as a measure and so I'm unable to use it as a filter. 

If I use it as a condition for background color it works: 

if(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#([Age1), cyan())

But I get "invalid dimension" when I try creating a master dimension:

=if(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age1)

or Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age2)
or Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age3)
or Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age4), 'Y, 'N')

This happens even if I remove the OR conditions and try doing it with only one age. 

(I'm using num# because the original field is a string. 

What is the problem?

Thank you,

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FernandaNava
Author

I solved my problem. Posting the solution in case it helps anybody. I just had to put one Aggr for everything, not add it for each comparison:

=if(Aggr(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age1)
or (Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age2))
, PersonID), '1', '0')

View solution in original post

3 Replies
joaopaulo_delco
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @FernandaNava !

I think it's treating like measure because you're using the agregated funcion Min().

I Suggest you solve this on script. The app wil increase the performance and your filter will look better.

Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
FernandaNava
Author

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately it's not very convenient to solve this on script because the calculation involves several different tables that it wouldn't be convenient to join. 

I tried to solve it following a suggestion from this post:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Sense-App-Development/Convert-Measure-to-Dimension/td-p/1732956

Adding an aggr(). It's now working as a dimension but doing an AND condition even though I wrote an OR in the script. 

=if(Aggr(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') ), PersonID)> num#(Age1)
or (Aggr(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') ), PersonID)> num#(Age2))
, '1', '0')

When I click on 1 in a filter pane, it will set filters for PersonID, Age1 and Age2, thus showing only those having a a smaller number for both Age1 and Age2. 

Any idea why this is happening?

FernandaNava
Author

I solved my problem. Posting the solution in case it helps anybody. I just had to put one Aggr for everything, not add it for each comparison:

=if(Aggr(Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age1)
or (Age(min(TestDate), Date(Date#(BirthDate, 'YYYYMMDDhhmmss'), 'DD/MM/YYYY') )> num#(Age2))
, PersonID), '1', '0')