Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlolling
Creator III
Creator III

Maven plugin to support Jet based component development

First of all: I am a fan of the jet based components because they are clear to understand and create easy to understand job code AND I am sure they providing much better performance than the new component development framework SDK.

To support this development I have created (actually 3 years ago) a public available maven plugin which helps

• update the component XML file
  • take care the jars needed for the component
  • checks also the message property files for missing keys
  • copies the component to the custom component folder
  • create a label in the advanced settings to show the component version and build date in the studio

This plugin is described here: https://github.com/jlolling/talendcomp_maven_plugins

You can simply add it to your maven pom and it will be downloaded from maven central

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Jan,

Thank you for sharing your plugin for Javajet based components.

The new Talend Component Kit based components do have a small overhead due to serialization/deserialization between the studio generated code and the framework. However the functionalities that the framework itself provide compensate for this. In other words the overhead shouldn't be concerning.

When using the new framework:

• Dependencies are managed in the maven pom file
  • Jars are linked to component families
  • Messages.properties content is checked using the validation check: https://talend.github.io/component-runtime/main/latest/build-tools-maven.html#_validating_the_component_programming_model
  • Automatically generates a component.car file that contains all the dependencies and the installer to install the component.

However by default it does not have the label in studio under the Advanced settings. (Although this is something we could improve.)

I do also very much like JavaJet, but I strongly advocate to give a try to the component kit. Having all the test functionality, the ability for the dynamic UI elments, not to mention that one can have Guess Schema and a Metadata entry and the UI configuration changes can be managed from the component itself. These weren't possible with Javajet.

I could go on however I was mostly focusing on the pain points you have to solved in your Javajet based developments with your plugin.