Skip to main content
Announcements
Join us on Sept. 17 to hear how our new GenAI Assistant empowers data professionals: REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

+++ Talend Exchange EOL and Custom Components +++

Hello,

I'd like to open a public discussion regarding community-created custom components. As many of you may have heard, we're sunsetting Talend Exchange and moving content to GitHub.  All 10+ years of content (about 650 components) has been migrated from Talend Exchange to the GitHub public archive ( https://github.com/TalendExchange/ ), which is already accessible. Please keep in mind the Talend Exchange site is still working as of now, but it will no longer be functional starting in July.

While we may be saying goodbye to Talend Exchange, the availability of custom components is here to stay. This shift in location won’t cause any disruption to custom components you’re currently using — both JavaJet and Talend Component Kit based components will continue to function.

Now and until we have a proper new home for Exchange, Contributors of Talend Community who develop new components, are encouraged to announce and advertise them by posting a message in the Component Development board of community.talend.com. There, we already have many sample jobs, code, documents, etc made available by our most active Talend Community members.

As always, we're open to suggestions on how we can make custom component development, distribution and patching easier for developers.

Feel free to reach out to us over at exchange-migration@talend.com or comment under this community post with feedback and questions.

The official documentation was also updated with these changes: https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/talend-exchange-end-of-life/talend-exchange-end-of-life 

Warm Regards,

Balázs Gunics

4 Replies
anselmopeixoto
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @Balazs Gunics​ 

Honestly, I had concerns about the future of Exchange, but in my opinion, transitioning to GitHub has made it easier (and faster) to access custom components.

On the flip side, it may not be as user-friendly as the Talend Exchange website was. This could potentially create challenges for new users.

ahales1686218854
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Balázs Gunics,

Thank you for sharing the information regarding the custom components created by the community and the changes happening with Talend Exchange. It's great to hear that custom components will continue to function and that there are plans to announce and advertise new components on the Talend Community platform. In terms of making custom component development, distribution, and patching easier for developers, here are a few suggestions: Improved Documentation: Providing comprehensive and up-to-date documentation for custom component development will help developers understand the process and best practices. This can include detailed guides, examples, and reference materials. Collaboration Platform: Creating a dedicated platform or section within the Talend Community for custom component development can foster collaboration and knowledge sharing among developers. This can include forums, discussion boards, and a place to showcase and share custom components. Version Control and Release Management: Implementing version control and release management practices for custom components can ensure easier tracking of changes, compatibility, and allow for easy patching and updates. Testing and Quality Assurance: Encouraging developers to thoroughly test their custom components and providing guidelines for quality assurance will help ensure that the components function correctly and meet the expected standards. Community Support: Establishing a support system where developers can seek help, ask questions, and receive guidance on custom component development will facilitate the learning process and address any challenges they may encounter. I hope these suggestions are helpful, and I encourage developers to reach out to the provided email address or engage in discussions on the Talend Community platform to contribute their ideas and feedback. MyMileStoneCard

Best regards, [Alex. K .Hals]

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

Improved documentation: We plan to improve the search functionality of this site but there are lot of examples here: https://talend.github.io/component-runtime/main/latest/javajet-to-componentkit.html

Also we have open source components: https://github.com/Talend/connectors-se and https://github.com/Talend/tdi-studio-se/tree/master/main/plugins/org.talend.designer.components.localprovider/components

Collaboration Platform: We can organize roundtable meetings. It's also possible to fork / create a new repository under TalendExchange organization for community components. For now I'd suggest forking connectors-se and do the developments based on that.

Using GitHub actions we could also do releases in an automated way.

It's a good question how these releases should appear in Studio. Perhaps an extra P2 like URL to pull custom components from?

For the discussion board we're already discussing under Component Development

Testing and Quality Assurance:  the new talend component kit based connectors support test based developments. I personally try to aim for a 90% code coverage. It can really improve the quality of the components. The components that you properly test outside of studio usually work without issues inside studio. (sometimes some parameter is null and you end up with an NPE but that goes back to writing better tests)

Community Support: Our R&D is monitoring Component Development board and we try to assist on a best effort case.

PS: Yes I'm biased towards Talend Component Kit but I believe that JavaJet will not fade away anytime soon either. If you have a working good javajet component there's no immediate benefit moving to Talend Component Kit. However for new components, I'd try to consider TCK as much as possible. It looks like a longer path to do a component but once you get used to it it will save a lot of time. And maintenance / library upgrades are also simpler.

jlolling
Creator III
Creator III

In case of my components (everything from Jan Lolling) PLEASE do NOT use the components from this archive because they are mostly out-dated there. Because I know the plans of expiring Talend Exchange I have not updated my components there, instead I have have used the Release section in the source github repositories of my components to provide the zip files there.

Please visit for my components: https://github.com/jlolling?tab=repositories&q=talendcomp&type=&language=&sort=

Nevertheless I am appreciate the move to Github as archive for the custom components.