Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aminegac
Creator
Creator

Check the size of folders/directories ?

I am still looking for the possibility in 2022 to use talend to check wether folders are empty or not .

The problem is that TfileProperties just focuses on files and not directories/folders

I want to find a way to determine the size of a folder whether it is empty or has something in it (files and non empty sub-directories ) which is simply to just check its SIZE if it is >0 or jsut 0 .

Is there any way to check folder/directory size ??

Talend OS 4 yrs / Java 17 Web Dev
Labels (3)
8 Replies
aminegac
Creator
Creator
Author

here is what i could achieve , i could read paths from a text file and loop through those paths and log each time if the size is 0 or not ;

the problem is that TFileProperties shows 0 when it does not find files directly under the path and shows more than 0 when it finds some files under that same path ; which is not true because sometimes the path has folders in it that are not empty ; in this case it should show more than 0 as size .

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Just use a tFileList to iterate each file under the specified directory, if the side of one of the files >0, then we can say the directory is not empty, see below.

0695b00000YBJhlAAH.png 

code on tJavaRow:

// code sample:

//

// multiply by 2 the row identifier

// output_row.id = input_row.id * 2;

//

// lowercase the name

// output_row.name = input_row.name.toLowerCase();

System.out.println(input_row.basename);

if(input_row.size>0){

context.isEmpty=false;

break;

}

Define a context variable with boolean type, set its default value as true;

Hope it helps!

Regards

Shong

aminegac
Creator
Creator
Author

Hello M.Shong .

Thank you for the reply .

I finished by using that same method of yours , i loop through files in a directory and do that same logic but the problem is i can't break the loop once i find a size >0 ; it always loops through all 4000 files under the folder even after i used an IF trigger that check if context.isEmpty false or not ! i don't understand why the loop does not break when the IF trigger is false .

Here is an image about the process i am trying to use to break the loop once i find a file that has size.

Please feel free to critisize my choice of triggers for optimisations , i think there can be a lot of optimisation in all those triggers and intermidiate components that i am using.

0695b00000YBhaUAAT.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why you use tFlowToIterate_4 component here, and I don't see where you break the loop, there are three iterations (loops) in your job, if you break the loop on tJava_6, i think only the innermost loop is terminated.

aminegac
Creator
Creator
Author

oh yeah what you are saying is true , the inner last loop is the only on that break because of the if .

i use iterate because i have no choice to use other triggers . is there a way on how i can optimize that please? is the singleiteration useless afterall ? can i delete it and keep the flow ?

also the tflowtoiterate is used to get the ROW2 values , is it mendatory i use tflowtoiterate to read the values from tFileProps?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it possible share me the job via email? It's hard for me to say how to optimize the job only with a screenshot, I don't know the purpose of each component you use.

aminegac
Creator
Creator
Author

i will send it later this day . which mail can i send it to ? shong@talend.com ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, send the job to shong@talend.com