Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DL001
Contributor
Contributor

Workspace in use, cannot start multiple instances at the same time.

Hi

TOS DQ crashed trying to do something [which seems to happen with alarming frequency] and I keep getting the "Workspace in use, cannot start multiple instances at the same time." error - in fact, I cannot start TOS DQ.

I have rebooted my VM and there are no other TOS processes running.

What is it in the config that is telling TOS DQ that there is another instance running and how do I resolve this?
Labels (2)
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, to have a go at stopping the crashing, first look at the memory settings for the Studio. Talend have this set far too low for most people's requirements. Go to a file called something like (something like because in different versions it changes slightly) "Talend-Studio-win-x86_64.ini". It will match the name of the executable you use to start Talend. Check the contents of this file. Mine says....

-vmargs
-Xms512m
-Xmx8192m
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

You want to up your -Xmx value as high as you can afford. I'm using 8GB here. A lot of data processing is handled in memory so it makes sense to have a lot.

Hopefully that will go some way to solving your crashing (but I don't use the DQ tool, so there is no guarantee sorting the memory will do it).

Now with the workspace in use issue, this could be caused by the fact that Talend is crashing before clearing the workspace lock file. You can do this manually by going to the .metadata folder inside your workspace and deleting the .lock file.
DL001
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks for the reply.

My ini shows 1.5Gb at the moment - I will increase it but I am limited on my development VM to 4Gb

And thanks for locating the .lock file for me - I suspected there was something like that not getting cleaned up.