Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cataloguing data - what is the easiest way?

I’ve recently joined an organisation, whose data is a complete mess. I’m starting to look at how we can make baby steps in the right direction. One of the tasks that need to be done is building a data dictionary and catalogue. I’m going to prioritise by defining key fields and assign accountability to business data owners within each data domain. It is going to be a long process as we have a lot of data and the landscape is fragmented (multiple ERPs, limited integration, no common data standards, you get my drift)

My question is what is the best way of documenting? I have excel templates, but these days, there must be applications that suck the metadata out of systems and does this for you? Does anyone have any experience with products like Collibra and Alation?

(I’m thinking that the likes of infosphere are overkill for our organisation)

Labels (2)
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello @berlinpose2,

the Talend data catalog does exact that for you - "... suck the metadata out of systems and does this for you". The product has a lot of connectors to all possible databases, erp-systems, files, etc. . Additionally with the API from the data catalog you are able to automize the process of of writing the glossary and data dictionary.

If you want to know more about, you can contact me anytime.