cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anselmopeixoto
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Published artifatcs on Talend Cloud missing source .item files

Sometimes a developer publishes a Job Artifact but forgets to push the source to Git repository. And then when the Job needs some improvements, no one has access to the source. I cases like that, the remediation I always use is to get the published artifact from the Artifact Repository and then import it on Studio. Of course, in on-premises environments this only works when the developer did not uncheck the option "Itens" on the Publish Job to Artifact Repository window.

For Talend Cloud it is a little bit different but still possible. Since with TMC we don't have direct access to the Artifacts Repository, the solution is to find the artifact zip file that is transferred to the Remote Engine server when a task is run and then import that zip file into the Studio. The good news is that for "Publish to Cloud" there is no option for the developer to not export the source Item files.

This always worked for me but recently I started to notice that the Job Artifacts published to TMC are not including the .item and .properties Job files anymore. I've searched a lot and did not find any place where this could be changed.

I believe this was always a safe mechanism to avoid situations where a Job source can become lost due to a simple action that can be easily missed by the developer. Is there a way to guarantee that artifacts published to TMC always include the source .item and .properties files?

Labels (3)
1 Reply
Xiaodi_Shi
Support
Support

Hello,

For security reasons, the "source" of the Jobs is NEVER included in the ZIP file uploaded into the TMC.

A published artifact is a built job as opposed to a Studio job which is the source code. When publishing a job to the Cloud, you are publishing the built job and not source code/files. Because the source code is never uploaded to Cloud, it is not possible to extract the Studio job from the artifact. We met a similar question before about how to pulling the source code/Studio job files from the Remote Engine, but the same concept applies since only the artifact context are copied to the Remote Engine.

Best regards

Sabrina