Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Talend use an external file to search and replace values

I have a list of about 80 values that I need to check within a data fields in a SQL Server database and replace the values with something different. For instance in a couple of address fields I want to change Street to ST, Road to RD, Avenue to Ave, etc. I am using a tReplace to find and replace smaller sets of values but I am looking for a solution that would use a longer list of values. Is there a way of doing this that someone could suggest and give an example for?
Also, is Talend case sensitive in a windows environment? In my file would I have to enter "STREET", "Street" and "street" or could I just use "Street" to search for the value I want to replace?
My project uses java and uses a SQL Server database.
Labels (4)
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is exactly what tReplaceList does. And yes it can be case insensitive or not, depending on your will (I mean there is a checkbox), not on the environment you're running on.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This solution sounds great but I seem to have a problem implementing it. I am using java and I'm not sure if this is a perl only solution. I found the user documentation for tReplacelist and I am trying to implement it without receiving the results I expect. My goal is to change names to abreviations for street names. For instance from "123 Main Street" I would like to get "123 Main ST". In my delimited file I have the entry
" STREET ";"ST". I have tried with " STREET ";"ST" and "STREET";"ST". I would like to change values within a text string and not the entire string. Am I missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

After some more experimenting, I found that I should not use double quotes(") in the delimited file. I updated my delimited file and the replacement works great!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi
hi i am using tReplaceList, but it is creating problem, if My Look-up file has string like
ShortName|FullName
NA | NAME
ME | Meet End
but first look-up finds the NA and Replace with "NAME" in main stream, but same "NAME" string contains "ME" so also replace with "Meet End" and so on
then out put looks like " NAMeet End" this is a small example.
please suggest how to replace once and then move for next main row?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

SA,E QUESTION