Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Convert date/time from UTC to Local time based on country code or Time Zone

Hello, 

I have flights departure time that are stored in Oracle Database in UTC date & time.

I have a table with airport code, associated country and associated time zone.

Do you know a solution to convert date and time from UTC to Local based on available information ?

I can read on the community that some manage similar issue having the time difference between local & UTC ... I do not have such information ... 

Difference between UTC time and Local time is influenced by TimeZone, but also by time change Summer/Winter in some countries.

All ideas are welcome.

regards

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TRF
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

On my side I have 2 different methods, one for conversion from any TZ to GMT (convertToGmt) and another to convert from any TZ to any TZ (convertTzToTz). As the 2nd one is more general, I've give you just this one. Of course it takes care of daylight saving time (summer/winter time) for any place in the world.

Regarding the exception you encounter, be carefull to the expected inout date format which should be "yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss".

View solution in original post

11 Replies
TRF
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Damien,

You need to create a routine like this one for this purpose:

package routines;

import java.text.SimpleDateFormat;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.TimeZone;

public class dateConversion {

public static String convertTzToTz(String strDate, String inTz, String outTz) throws Exception
	    {
			if (strDate == null || inTz == null || outTz == null)
					return null;

// Convert strDate from any valid timezone such Europe/Paris to another one
			// strDate is expected to be formatted as "yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ssZ"

SimpleDateFormat indfm = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss");
			indfm.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone(inTz));
			Date inDate = indfm.parse(strDate);

SimpleDateFormat outdfm = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ssZ");
			outdfm.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone(outTz));

return outdfm.format(inDate);
	    }
}

Then in your job you can use the following expression to convert from GMT to Paris TZ:

dateConversion.convertToGmt(out1.CreatedDate, "GMT", "Europe/Paris")

Of course, timezone can be expressed depending on your own data (row1.inTimezone, row1.outTimezone).

If you need more detail, contact me by PM (french speaking if you prefer).

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello TRF, 

thank you for your answer.

I will try it ... but I am a beginner ... java code in talend job ... new for me.

just a question concerning the piece of code you are sharing with me.

On top we declare

convertTzToTz

and then you ask me to use 

convertToGmt

a typo ?

then, my objective is not only to convert from GMT to Local, knowing that in some places in the world (like France where I am), we have winter/summer time. Is this piece of code taking it into account ?

I come back to you when I succeed to implement it.

Thanks again for you answer.

Damien

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hello, 

I tried but something is wrong with the date ... date format ? 

you mentionned that you expect specific date format in input ... yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ssZ ? what are T & Z ?

Démarrage du job Test_Home_UTC_Local a 15:07 25/05/2019.
[statistics] connecting to socket on port 3415
[statistics] connected
Exception in component tMap_1 (Test_Home_UTC_Local)
java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "2019-05-01 05:55:00"
at java.text.DateFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at routines.dateConversion.convertTzToTz(dateConversion.java:19)
at servair_rim.test_home_utc_local_0_1.Test_Home_UTC_Local.tFileInputExcel_1Process(Test_Home_UTC_Local.java:1594)
at servair_rim.test_home_utc_local_0_1.Test_Home_UTC_Local.tWarn_1Process(Test_Home_UTC_Local.java:463)
at servair_rim.test_home_utc_local_0_1.Test_Home_UTC_Local.runJobInTOS(Test_Home_UTC_Local.java:2195)
at servair_rim.test_home_utc_local_0_1.Test_Home_UTC_Local.main(Test_Home_UTC_Local.java:2044)
[statistics] disconnected

Job Test_Home_UTC_Local terminé à 15:07 25/05/2019. [Code sortie=1]

TRF
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

On my side I have 2 different methods, one for conversion from any TZ to GMT (convertToGmt) and another to convert from any TZ to any TZ (convertTzToTz). As the 2nd one is more general, I've give you just this one. Of course it takes care of daylight saving time (summer/winter time) for any place in the world.

Regarding the exception you encounter, be carefull to the expected inout date format which should be "yyyy-MM-ddTHH:mm:ss".

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you TRF.

it seems to work ! 2 hours ago I never played with java code in talend ... 

As I convert airport time departure and arrival from UTC to local, I use the timezone as a parameter.

It's perfect ... I continue my testing.

Have a good week end.

Damien

TRF
Creator III
Creator III

Great!

Don't hesitate if you need more help or a contact as an integrator to help you on your projects.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Bonjour, 

The code do not work for Morroco ... you may know that in 2018 that have decided last minute, not to change time summer/winter ... else (for other countries), it works well.

regards

Damien

TRF
Creator III
Creator III

The code use the TimeZone.getTimeZone method which depends of the JRE version which doesn't always take care of the latest time zone data.

It seems this is a well known problem as explained here https://stackoverflow.com/questions/27925035/wrong-offset-for-timezone-casablanca-java

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

HI I am also facing same issues could you please help  me in this , if i am adding the format as "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss" then i can able  to view data but if i am changing the format as yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss i am not able to succed .here attaching the screen shot for your reference0683p000009M5cm.png0683p000009M5Nw.png0683p000009M5wn.png