Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mani1304
Creator
Creator

Date as context parameter type

Hi,

I want to get date as my context parameter, but when I do this, it changes it's format. e.g. my date is 07-17-2019, it changes this to Jul 17, 2019. May be this is because context date type doesn't have format in context parameter, can someone suggest how to achieve this. For the time, I am having all parameters in string  and later casting it to date.

Labels (2)
11 Replies
lennelei
Creator III
Creator III

Hello,

you cannot have a Date in a context variable a print it as a String without converting it to a String first.

This conversion can either be done explicitly (manually) with the TalendDate.formatDate() method in which you can specify a format.

Or the conversion can be done implicitly where you will not be able to control the format. This is what happen when you use stuff like:

System.out.println(context.myDate);
//or
String filename="myFilename_" + context.myDate + ".txt";

The correct way to do what you want is to use a Date in the context variable and explicitly (manually) convert it whenever you want to use it in a String (be it a filename or a log or whatever).

System.out.println(TalendDate.formatDate("yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss", context.myDate));
//or
String filename="myFilename_" + TalendDate.formatDate("yyyyMMdd'T'HHmmss", context.myDate) + ".txt";

If you have to change the date, I would also recommand to use a global variable to store the modified date and work on it:

globalMap.put("myWrkDate", context.myDate);
//add 12 days
globalMap.put("myWrkDate", TalendDate.addDate((Date)globalMap.get("myWrkDate"), 12, "dd"));
//use this variable in a filename
String filename="text_" + TalendDate.formatDate("yyyyMMdd'T'HHmmss", (Date)globalMap.get("myWrkDate")) + ".txt";

Of course, those are simple examples you'll have to adapt to your needs and jobs.

You can also create a routine if you really have to use this in a lot of places.

Regards

mani1304
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks buddy, I got it that it can't be done in Talend and that was my
initial question.
I appreciate your help.