Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vasan212
Contributor
Contributor

Get Message create Timestamp from Kafka Topic while reading

Hi,

I'm trying to download a Json file from Kafka topic and I want to retrieve message create timestamp from kafka topic while reading.

Used below configs in the tkafkainput component, but they are not working.

I Need help here to capture the timestamp while reading message from Kafka topic.

configs tried:

print.timestamp=true

message.timestamp.type=CreateTime

data.timestamp=CreateTime

all of them are throwing a warning message while running as "The configuration 'print.timestamp' was supplied but this isn't a known config."

Note - While providing the same config in the backend I can see the createtime .

ex: bin/kafka-console-consumer.sh --bootstrap-server localhost:9092 --topic topicName --property print.timestamp=true --from-beginning

CreateTime:1609917197764. is printed in the beginning of the message.

Labels (4)
7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Thanigaivasan Dayalan​ ,

To get the message create timestamp of kafka topic, please follow the below steps:

1. setup the Output type to "ConsumerRecord" in tKafkaInput Basic settings
  2. using tJavaRow to retrieve the record timestamp and values by the code like

org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.ConsumerRecord record = (org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.ConsumerRecord) input_row.record;

output_row.timestamp = record.timestamp();

output_row.topic = record.topic();

output_row.key = (byte[]) record.key();

output_row.value = (byte[]) record.value();

3 using tLogRow to output the rows

I tested the above steps, it's working as expected.

0695b00000lvA1uAAE.pngPlease refer to the below article

https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/kafka/kafka-avro-read-avro-data-from-consumerrecord

Best regards

Aiming

vasan212
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@Aiming Chen​  - Thank you for the response. But, I don't see 'ConsumerRecord' in the output type. All I can see is 'String' and 'byte[]'. Is there any setting I need to enable?

I'm using Talend Real time BigData Platform 7.3.1 and job type is standard job.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the 'ConsumerRecord' output type for tKafkaInput is only available in Talend studio 8.0 but not in 7.3.1. thanks

vasan212
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Is there any other approach in older version of Talend to get the Timestamp from the Kafka topic, like using java components?

vasan212
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@Xiaodi Shi​ - Hello Sabrina... Any help here is much appreciated. TIA

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @Thanigaivasan Dayalan​ 

tKafka* to handle Avro data in DI jobs (Avro functionality) is a new feature and not available in V 7.3.1 I'm afraid.

Please also note that this feature was implemented in V 8.0.1 for the tKafkaInput/Output components available in Standard jobs:

https://help.talend.com/r/en-US/8.0/kafka/tkafkainput-standard-properties

You should upgrade to Talend 8 to achieve it and feel free to let me know if it is OK with you.

Best regards

Sabrina

vasan212
Contributor
Contributor
Author

@Xiaodi Shi​  - I'm not using Avro. I'm consuming Json message from Kafka Topic and I want to extract the message create timestamp(Time when the file was placed in Kafka Topic).