Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
n999
Contributor II
Contributor II

How does the Studio interact with Git?

Hello

We are on 6.4.1 and were wondering if Talend Studio's interaction with Git is non-standard?

I ask as when I go into my file system I see a file structure like below within my workspace that seems to represent a git branch structure:

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches/develop/ACTUALNAMEOFTALENDPROJECT

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches/master/ACTUALNAMEOFTALENDPROJECT

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches/feature-branch1/ACTUALNAMEOFTALENDPROJECT

Now, when I run 

git status

on the command line multiple times in the following folders 

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches/develop

/Users/me/my-workspace/.repositories/1416375320/branches/develop/ACTUALNAMEOFTALENDPROJECT

It tells me that I am

On branch master

No commits yet

Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

each time even though my Studio says I am on develop and have all changes from Git.

I ask as interested to know if

1) this is a way of using git I've not used before.

2) can git command line be used safely in these directories to undertake normal git operations

3) is this the same in version 7

many thanks

Labels (4)
10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Could you please go through the below links?

https://help.talend.com/reader/5Q~PAWPfymNJZLXDuV36Lw/e3zcWkb425eWpl8dGREd9Q

https://help.talend.com/reader/a7hx_I9mEONM6em~Ni~Hfw/kT4j19tT_Dvm9t8L6BkW7g

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

nfz11
Creator III
Creator III

I have read those documents before but I still don't know how to commit to my local branch with git and give a commit message.  The only time I know it commits is when I restart Studio because it forces me to commit and does not provide a field for me to enter a message.

Also, Talend projects are not saved as Java source or pure XML, but as binary embedded in XML, right?  So a git diff is not useful because diffed binary is unreadable.  Can you clarify?  Is it best practice to use git command line for commits in your Talend projects?

Maybe it is because I am new to git, but git support is pretty disappointing and confusing in Talend.

I am using Talend 7.0 Data Integration enterprise edition.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Could you please check below Webinar done by one of my colleague?

0683p000009M655.png

There are lot of other Webinars under Architect Sessions page which deals with GIT, Continous Integration etc.

https://www.talend.com/customer-success/architect-sessions/

I hope they will give you a good idea.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

n999
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Thanks for those links are interesting. Esp the option to "Use Commit Messages" - will try that.

However those links do not answer the questions I've asked.

Mainly my question is about the folder structure.

Usually with git you have a repository, and you clone that repository to create a local directory. Then you can do 'normal' git operations in that cloned directory like:

git checkout <branch-name>

And this keeps the folder structure the same but just changes your files to be the contents of the chosen branch.

git status

will then tell you what branch you are on.

This is different to what I see in my workspace as originally posted?

Thanks

navds
Creator II
Creator II

Hi Nikhil Thampi,

How do we access this architect session pages? I was unable to play the video with the error message "Sorry. Because of its privacy settings, this video cannot be played here."

Regards,

Navds

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The Architecture sessions are publicly available once you register in initial the form.

Could you please try from another machine or browser? If you are in a corporate network, sometimes, they will block the link since its playing video. So try from your home network first.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

navds
Creator II
Creator II

Re,

Which registration form are you mentioning? There is only one sign in button in this page, leading to the Cloud registration form:0683p000009M5aW.png

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

For me, When I click on the watch video button, it is directly taking me to the video. If the error persists from multiple systems (including home systems), please raise a ticket to Talend support team.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

navds
Creator II
Creator II

It was the integrated ad/tracker blocker of my browser 0683p000009MACJ.png I had to disable it.
Thanks.