Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adbdkb
Creator
Creator

How to define a jaas config file for use with Kafka in Talend Big Data

I am trying to read from Kfka topics and trying to set up the job.  I have defined the jaas config file as below.  When I try to run the job I get the following exception.    How should my config file be defined for this to work?

KafkaClient {
security.protocol=SASL_SSL
sasl.method=PLAIN
org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required \
username="user" \
password="password";
};

Exception in component tKafkaInput_1 (Test)

org.apache.kafka.common.KafkaException: Failed to construct kafka consumer

at org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.<init>(KafkaConsumer.java:793)

at org.apache.kafka.clients.consumer.KafkaConsumer.<init>(KafkaConsumer.java:644)

at big_data_poc.test_0_1.Test.tKafkaInput_1Process(Test.java:848)

To see the whole post, download it here
Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spruett
Contributor II
Contributor II

There is ample documentation on building custom Talend components.  You might want to note that there are two was to do this: the old way, which the Kafka components use, and the new way called the Talend Component Kit.

What I did was to start by copying the existing tKafka... Talend component folders that I found here:

[Install Dir]\studio\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.bigdata_7.2.1.20190619_1114\components

I then began renaming folders and files, and customized the code according to my needs.  I added another checkbox in front of the "Use kerberos authentication" to "Use SASL/PLAIN" authentication so I could pick that and ignore the kerberos stuff.  So that I didn't even need a JAAS config file, I just put fields for Username and Password into the component properties form.  Important properties that would need to be set for this authentication would be: "security.protocol", "sasl.mechanism", and "sasl.jaas.config".  In the code, they might look something like this:

<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.setProperty("security.protocol", "SASL_SSL");
<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.setProperty("sasl.mechanism", "PLAIN");
<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.put("sasl.jaas.config", "org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required username=\"" + <%=tLWKafkaInputUtil.getSaslUsername()%> + "\" password=\"" + <%=tLWKafkaInputUtil.getSaslPassword()%> + "\";" );

View solution in original post

7 Replies
adbdkb
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi,  anyone has any pointers / solutions?

Appreciate any help to get this resolved.

Thanks

spruett
Contributor II
Contributor II

I was able to get this to work.

KafkaClient {
	org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required 
	username="XXXXX" 
	password="XXXXX";
	com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule required	
	security.protocol=SASL_SSL
	ssl.endpoint.identification.algorithm=https 
	sasl.mechanism=PLAIN;
};

Unfortunately, I then ran into further issues with Kerberos.  In order to supply your JAAS config path, you have to select the "Use kerberos authentication", and we are not using Kerberos.

vboppudisfx
Contributor
Contributor

Any updates on how to resolve this error?

I am also in similar situation. I am trying to connect to concluent cloud and running into issues while using SASL_SSL security provided by client. 

Does anyone has experience connecting to Confluent could ? I am able to connect using python script but running into issues using Talend . here is sample python script i used.

------

from confluent_kafka import Producer
def delivery_report(err, msg):
""" Called once for each message produced to indicate delivery result.
Triggered by poll() or flush(). """
if err is not None:
print('Message delivery failed: {}'.format(err))
else:
print('Message delivered to {} [{}]'.format(msg.topic(), msg.partition()))

p = Producer({
'bootstrap.servers': 'SASL_SSL://servername0683p000009MAB6.pngort',
'sasl.mechanism': 'PLAIN',
'security.protocol': 'SASL_SSL',
'sasl.username': 'usename',
'sasl.password': 'password',

'ssl.ca.location':'/Users/certifi/cacert.pem' # not provided by confluent
})

p.produce('test_topic', value='Test---', callback=delivery_report)

----------

spruett
Contributor II
Contributor II

I was not able to make this work with the current Talend components, because they assume the use of Kerberos, which we do not use.  I ended up making my own components.

vboppudisfx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply @spruett  

Can you share details on how to create new components to make it work ?

Thank  you and appreciate your help.  

spruett
Contributor II
Contributor II

There is ample documentation on building custom Talend components.  You might want to note that there are two was to do this: the old way, which the Kafka components use, and the new way called the Talend Component Kit.

What I did was to start by copying the existing tKafka... Talend component folders that I found here:

[Install Dir]\studio\plugins\org.talend.designer.components.bigdata_7.2.1.20190619_1114\components

I then began renaming folders and files, and customized the code according to my needs.  I added another checkbox in front of the "Use kerberos authentication" to "Use SASL/PLAIN" authentication so I could pick that and ignore the kerberos stuff.  So that I didn't even need a JAAS config file, I just put fields for Username and Password into the component properties form.  Important properties that would need to be set for this authentication would be: "security.protocol", "sasl.mechanism", and "sasl.jaas.config".  In the code, they might look something like this:

<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.setProperty("security.protocol", "SASL_SSL");
<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.setProperty("sasl.mechanism", "PLAIN");
<%=cid%>_kafkaProperties.put("sasl.jaas.config", "org.apache.kafka.common.security.plain.PlainLoginModule required username=\"" + <%=tLWKafkaInputUtil.getSaslUsername()%> + "\" password=\"" + <%=tLWKafkaInputUtil.getSaslPassword()%> + "\";" );

vboppudisfx
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you @spruett  . Now i am able to establish connection to confluent kafka.