Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III

Load XML file to variant data type column in Snowflake

Hi ! I am trying to load contents of a complete XML file to variant column in Snowflake. tFileInputXML component seem to read rows from the fields in XML. Please advise what components and design approach can i use to load complete XML to variant column of a table in snowflake?

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Are you able to insert an entire XML into Snowflake via tDBRow component?

Best regards

Sabrina

vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sabrina ! I was able to load the entire XML through tFileInputRaw with schema being document and and moved the file to S3 and loaded to snowflake table using tDBBulkExec. Is there any other way?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please try to insert an entire XML into Snowflake via tDBRow component and the sql is this with Prepared Statement :

"INSERT INTO <tablename> SELECT ?, PARSE_XML".

Best regards

Sabrina

vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you, Sabrina !

Is there any way to insert multiple rows to snowflake table from tXMLMap using user defined Insert sql query?

vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@Xiaodi Shi​ Hi Sabrina ! Could you tell me how to make this prepared statement? I tried the following statement and it failed -

"INSERT INTO TABLE_A SELECT ?, PARSE_XML"

The design flow is -

tfileInputRaw -> tDBRow

In tFileInputRaw, I chose "Stream the file"

vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

@Xiaodi Shi​  - It worked 🙂

Design:

tFileInputRaw -

tDBRow -

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Please refer to this online component reference about: TalendHelpCenter: tSnowflakeRow

If you want to query the database using a prepared statement, you will select "Use PreparedStatement" option in advanced setting of tSnowflakeRow.

Best regards

Sabrina

vvazza10
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks, Sabrina ! I have used prepared statement and it worked fine.

But how do you generally recommend XML data to be loaded to Snowflake via Talend? Loading the XML as variant and then querying using snowflake FLATTEN queries or using Talend components and load like tFileInputXML -> tFileOutputDelimited (csv) -> Snowflake?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

It usually depends on your job requirement.

We have added support VARIANT type in tSnowflakeOutput and tSnowflakeInput since V 6.5.1 and 7.0.1.

Using tSnowlakeInput, tSnowflakeOutput - easy read and write without using complex queries.

If use tSnowflakeRow be aware of write restriction - Snowflake JDBC doesn't allow complex batch queries.

But it's possible to write in standard(not batch) mode. And it's preferable to use tSnowflakeOutput for write operations. On the other hand tSnowflakeRow is very good for reading data from Snowflake, even complex since you're using query.

Feel free to let us know if it helps.

Best regards

Sabrina