Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jensej
Creator
Creator

Logging errors and affected rows from INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE statements.

Hi Community

My goal with the job I need help with is to first add a "title" to a output.csv file. Then in the next step I have a list of database connections that I iterate over and for each of the connection I will run a INSERT query with the tdbrow component for each connection. For each connection I want to append a row to the output.csv file for each connection where I log following. Database connection succesful yes or no. Was there any SQL errors? If yes print errorMessage if no leave empty. If the execution was successful I also want to log the amount of Affected rows. 

In the pictures you can see what I tried so far.

In tJavaFlex_1 I catch if a connection Problem occurs and if that's true I will print that in tLogRow3 (works fine).
The tDBRow_4 is set to not die on error and it will return a resultSet. I always add returning '1' as rows in the end of my Inserts queries. In tLogRow4 I am then able to see the amount of Inserted rows. 
From tDBRow_4 I also have a reject link that should catch SQL Error and their errorMessages. 

To try everything I have created a test where I have 3 connections where connection 1 and 2 are ok but the 3rd  should fail. In this example im running a INSERT INTO custom.test_etl (msg) VALUES('test'), ('jf') returning '1' as rows; query in tdbrow_4. The second connection should cause a SQL Error since the table doesn't exists in that database.

So my wished/expected output should be:
Connection 1 should successfully insert 2 rows and give two lines (rows) with information about the resultSet object and the rows im returning with returning '1' as rows. 
Connection 2 should be rejected an print errorMessage in tLogRow_1
Connection 3 to show an errorMessage in tLogRow_3

This is what it actually returns: 

CONNECTION 1
tLogRow_4

+-------------------------------------------+------+
| resultSet | rows |
| org.postgresql.jdbc.PgResultSet@50675690 | 1 |
| org.postgresql.jdbc.PgResultSet@50675690 | 1 |

tLogRow_1

+-----------+------+-----------+-------------+
| resultSet | rows | errorCode | errorMessage |
| | | | |

CONNECTION 2

tLogRow_4

+-----------+------+
| resultSet | rows |
+-----------+------+
|  |  |
+-----------+------+

tLogRow_1
+-----------+------+-----------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| resultSet | rows | errorCode | errorMessage |
+-----------+------+-----------+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
| null | null | 42P01 | ERROR: relation "custom.test_etl" does not exist Position: 13 - Line: 0 |

CONNECTION 3
tLogRow_3
+---------------------------------+
| errorMessage |
| The connection attempt failed. |

So first question is why does connection 1 and 2 return a result from both tLogRow_1 and tLogRow_4 when connection 1 wasn't rejected and connection 2 was rejected? I was expecting connection 1 not to trigger the reject path and the same for connection 2 but to not trigger the "success" path. 

Next question: When the first question is solved I have the infos that I need to make a insert in the output.csv file. I could add a tmap after each tlogrow component and then map it to tfileoutputdelimited and append my rows. But I have one big challenge left. As it is now i would insert two rows for the Success story since tLogRow_4 returns two rows. That's not what I want. I want the Total amount of rows to be inserted with only 1 entry in the output.csv. The total I can only access after the subjob is finished with globalMap.get("tParseRecordSet_3_NB_LINE"). I have no idea how to solve this since I have to somehow be able to get this value inside the loop for each connection but still it's not accessable inside the loop...Does someone have a good idea? 

I add some pictures with important information. Thanks!

Labels (2)
1 Reply
Shicong_Hong
Support
Support

If I understand the problem well, the reject row will not be triggered if the connection is OK, in your case, you mentioned the connection 1 and connection 2 is ok, but the connection 3 is failed. 

About the second question, you can add a tJavaFlex replace of tLogRow (or after tLogRow), define a counter on tJavaFlex, +1 for each row, store the counter to a global variable for used later in next subjob. eg:

in the begin part:

int total_rows=0;

in the main part:

total_rows++;

in the end part:

globalMap.put("key",total_rows);

After all the connections are iterated completed, write the Total amount of rows in the output.csv.

listConnections....

|onsubjobok

tFixedFlowInput--main--tFileOutputDelimited