Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oracle database connection types

I would like to know if anyone shares my opinions about Oracle database connections ...
Current state (I?m using TIS TE 4.0.3)
The current available connection types for Oracle are :
- Oracle OCI ? Using Oracle JDBC OCI driver (actually, oci8)
Generated database URL for this type of connection: jdbc 0683p000009MA5A.pngracle 0683p000009MA5A.pngci8:@local_service_name
- Oracle SID ? Using Oracle JDBC thin driver
Generated database URL for this type of connection: jdbc 0683p000009MA5A.pngracle:thin:@server:1521:sid
- Oracle Service Name ? Using Oracle JDBC thin driver
Generated database URL for this type of connection: jdbc 0683p000009MA5A.pngracle:thin:@(description=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=server)(port=1521))(connect_data=(service_name=service_name)))
Current limitations ...
Actually, the way Oracle database URLs are generated are too restrictive.
How about using thin driver with TNS alias (available since Oracle 10gR2)?
How about using thin driver with a specific connection descriptor (LOAD_BALANCE, FAILOVER, ?)?
How about using thin driver with connection descriptor stored in a directory (LDAP)?
How about ??
Following link points to Oracle 10gR2 documentation about the supported database specifiers in jdbc database URLs:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/java.102/b14355/urls.htm#sthref482
Suggestions ...
The way I would like to see things in Talend Studio in order to create Oracle Database connections is:
When creating a database connection in the metadata/Db Connections (In Window ?New Database Connection on repository ? Step 2/2?, section ?Database Settings?) :
* In the combo box "DB Type", show only one option for Oracle : ?Oracle Database?
* ... (Who can tell me what the real impact is when choosing the database version?)
* Add a new Combo box for Oracle connections named ?Connection type? with following options:
- JDBC OCI driver
- JDBC thin driver

When choosing ?JDBC OCI driver? ? keep other fields as they currently are (I have no suggestions to make right now).
When choosing ?JDBC thin driver? ? put both ?SID? and ?Service Name? field with a mutual exclusion mechanism (radio buttons?)
* A further step is to add an additional option allowing specifying a custom database specifier (in the connection string jdbc 0683p000009MA5A.pngracle:driver_type:@database_specifier)
instead of the automatically generated one (with the server, port, sid/service name/local service name fields).
The tOracle* components will need some modifications in order to display same information when not using an existing connection.
I?m not going to talk about the schema field (Oracle schema) in this topic. Oracle shema deserves a specific topic that I will create soon.
1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

A database computer language designed for the retrieval and management of data in relational database. SQL stands for Structured Query Language. Cassandra Tutorial gives unique learning on Structured Query Language and it helps to make practice on SQL commands which provides immediate results. SQL is a language of database, it includes database creation, deletion, fetching rows and modifying rows etc..sql interview questions| Top & Most Asked | Intellipaat SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard but there are many different versions of the SQL language.SQL is Structured Query Language, which is a computer language for storing, manipulating and retrieving data stored in relational database. SQL is the standard language for Relation Database System. All relational database management systems like MySQL, MS Access, Oracle, Sybase, Informix, postgres and SQL Server use SQL as standard database language. Also, they are using different dialects, such as: MS SQL Server using T-SQL, Oracle using PL/SQL, MS Access version of SQL is called JET SQL (native format) etc.