Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alpha549
Creator II
Creator II

REST API : Implement an authentication system + cypher exchanges

Hello everyone,

I use Talend ESB (Open Studio) to implement an REST API.

I would like to know if there is a way to implement an authentication system for my API, to prevent somebody not allowed to use it ?

I know that Basic HTTP authentication is possible, but I also know that there are other authentication methods. I don't have information about them. Can you explain to me how they work ?

Beyond the authentication, I would like to cypher exchanges when someone uses my API. How to proceed ?

Thank you in advance ! 🙂

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Alpha549
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Up

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

For REST-based services, in a cloud environment, Talend provides support only for basic authentication, where the user name and password are sent in an HTTP header alongside the request in clear text. Therefore it is mandatory to use HTTPS instead of HTTP as the protocol to ensure that the password is encrypted. Contrary to on-premises, for cloud environments, SAML token and OAuth are not supported. If more sophisticated solutions are required, Talend recommends using an API Gateway to secure and control access to the services and APIs. Talend Help provides information on how to integrate with API Gateways and examples for deployment on AWS API Gateway and Azure API Management.

Talend Runtime provides an authentication framework based on Java Authentication and Authorization Service (JAAS), which allows you to plug in different modules targeting a specific backend to validate identity information. Out of the box, Talend Runtime is configured to support a file-based backend, but among others LDAP can also be used to validate. For a complete list of supported backends, see the Apache Karaf documentation.0695b00000GiN6dAAF.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

In addition to that, tRestClient depends on the api-url and it's authentication functions, so basically we need the url and the api function name, the headers to set and if its POST, PUT or GET ... REST api.

Hope it helps.

Best regards

Sabrina