Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

demerit of cursor (tOracleInput)

In the advanced settings of the input components, there is a use cursor / cursor size option.I suppose this option works good when the size of input DB is big.

But by default , this option is off.

Q1: Is there any demerit if cursor option is on ?

Q2: In other case ,I mean when the size of input DB is small, should this option be on ?

I'm using talend open studio for data integration.

Labels (2)
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello,

It is based on an Oracle functionality (fetch array size in the JDBC driver)

The performance can be improved by tuning this fetch size to an appropriate value.
Let us know if it helps.
Best regards
Sabrina

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@coffeeno 

When you are increasing the number, please do not put an exorbitantly  high value as that also will create issues. There are no magic numbers in this case. Start with 10,000 records and see the results of DB. The number depends on the system resources and various other DB parameters. So you will have to do trial and error using performance testing to arrive at the right results.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I woul like to know about
Q1.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Q1 above.

Best regards,
manodwhb
Creator III
Creator III

@coffeeno ,you can enable cursor in tOracleInput,please check the below0683p000009M4Sq.png screen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Q1: Is there any demerit if cursor option is on ?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Q1: Is there any demerit if cursor option is on ?

Q1-2: Are,order and sequence and so on when using cursor are same as when not using cursor ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

The best way to check it is by measuring the database statistics and ETL statistics with by tryng both options. I have not tried them personally. But I would recommend to try with 100,000 records minimum to get a visible difference.

Warm Regards,
Nikhil Thampi

Please appreciate our Talend community members by giving Kudos for sharing their time for your query. If your query is answered, please mark the topic as resolved 🙂