Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

materialized view

what is the use of materialized view in talend how can i use it ?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Materialized view will create a data replica of a big table or an expensive query which will be used for data ware environment. Below link is a fantastic article about Materized view from Oracle.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96567/repmview.htm

If you notice the version of Oracle, it is 9.2 and during that time, datawarehouses and Data lakes were not matured enough like today. So many business queries were executed on top of the materialized views. 

But my personal view is that new technologies in OLTP, data warehouses and Data lakes have almost made the concept of Materialized views to a sunset mode. You can run much complex queries directly in Data warehouse (or in Data like using Bigdata jobs). 

So it is a concept good to understand but always think about new developments in technology related to data.

If my answer has helped to resolve your query, could you please amrk the topic as resolved? Kudos are also welcome 🙂

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ram,

Could you please share more inputs about your use case where you need to use Materialized views instead of normal views? Could you also specify the database you are using to achieve it and it would be great if you could share your current Talend job flow diagram which you have created to achieve your use case.

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

hi nikhill actually one my friend is asking this question where we can write materialized view ?

materialized view increase the performance of the job?
i'm not created any job ?
i'm not getting any idea ?

where i'm going to start?

please help me
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Materialized view will create a data replica of a big table or an expensive query which will be used for data ware environment. Below link is a fantastic article about Materized view from Oracle.

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96567/repmview.htm

If you notice the version of Oracle, it is 9.2 and during that time, datawarehouses and Data lakes were not matured enough like today. So many business queries were executed on top of the materialized views. 

But my personal view is that new technologies in OLTP, data warehouses and Data lakes have almost made the concept of Materialized views to a sunset mode. You can run much complex queries directly in Data warehouse (or in Data like using Bigdata jobs). 

So it is a concept good to understand but always think about new developments in technology related to data.

If my answer has helped to resolve your query, could you please amrk the topic as resolved? Kudos are also welcome 🙂

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

so you say that today usage will be less thankyou
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I would use something different rather than creating a materialized view on top of same database 🙂

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

what is that
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Ram,

It depends on the technology landscape available in your organization. A simple example will be to pump the necessary details to a Massively parallel processing data warehouse like Snowflake or Teradata) rather than using a Materialized view to generate your reports.

You will have to do research based on your specific use case and there is no single solution for all the different use cases.

Warm Regards,

Nikhil Thampi

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thankyou