Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
welshsteve
Creator
Creator

Remote Engine stopped working after java removal

Hi everyone.

Our IT department have this afternoon gone and removed Zulu 8.0 from our server running a Remote Engine. This has caused the remote engine to fail and now won't start.

I have tried the following to fix this:

Installed Zulu 11

Set the JAVA_HOME parameter in Environmental Variables

In "<Remote Engine Install Path>\bin\Talend Remote Engine-service.bat" I have changed the JAVA_HOME variable to the new zulu path

In "<Remote Engine Install Path>\etc\Talend Remote Engine-wrapper.conf" I have changed the JAVA_HOME variable to the new zulu path

Restarted the server

But the engine still won't start.

Is there anything I am missing here?

Would it be easier do you think to uninstall the engine and start again?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Could you please clarify in which Talend version/edition you are? What's error message are you getting in error log when the engine won't start?

Best regards

Sabrina

welshsteve
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Sabrina

My issue has changed now. Similar issue, but Talend Support suggested to me it would be better if I removed the old engine and installed a new engine with the latest version. Which I have now done. The service starts, but now when it executes jobs in the Talend Management Console, the jobs do not complete, they just "hang" in "Executing" mode. I can see the SQL database connection in SQL Server Management Studio, but nothing happens.

Engine version: 2.12.0_tipaas-base/release%2FR2022-04-04_239_tipaas-remote-engine-build/master

Java version: Zulu11.56+19-CA (build 11.0.15+10-LTS)

The version of Talend Studio is R2022-04-7.3.1

We have another remote engine which works perfectly fine (same task, same job, same database server etc). The working remote engine is on an older version of the Remote Engine software and older version of Zulu.

Working Engine

Engine version: 2.11.7_tipaas-base/release%2FR2021-12-10_229_tipaas-remote-engine-build/master

Java version: Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)

As I side bar to this, I have been asked by our IT department to upgrade Zulu on the server with the working engine, which I'm nervous about, given that the newer version of zulu appears to not work with the broken engine.

The issue has to be to do with the remote engine, and not the server, otherwise the other remote engine would not work

Thanks

Steve

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Usually, you would be required to restart the RE, once you have installed newer JDK on the RE server and have updated your JAVA_HOME to use it.

Are you seeing a long-running issue from RE? Would you mind capturing the stack trace and sharing it with us in this thread.

It is recommended that you should reply your previous support case about your new coming issue upgrading JDK in Remote Engine. Our colleagues from support team will give you a remote assistance(zoom meeting) to see if there is anything missing from your upgrading.

Best regards

Sabrina