Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Read a Positional File

I am trying to evaluate Talend Studio, but cannot load the positional files I would need it for.

I am using Open Studio v 7.2.1.20190620_1446 with jdk 13.0.2.

I have set my JAVA_HOME to the bin dir for the jdk.

When I try to load the file it lets me pick the positions but the preview fails.  I have verified this is a UTF-8 File.  Neither Windows or Unix format seems to make a difference.  

I get this when I try to preview:

Error Message: The type java.lang.Object cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced from required .class files
Preview error. Some settings must be changed.
Note: Preview errors are generally due to a wrong encoding setting.
org.talend.designer.runprocess.shadow.ShadowFilePreview.preview(ShadowFilePreview.java:90)
org.talend.metadata.managment.ui.utils.ShadowProcessHelper.getCsvArray(ShadowProcessHelper.java:383)
org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.files.positional.FileStep2Form$PreviewProcessor.nonUIProcessInThread(FileStep2Form.java:506)
org.talend.commons.ui.swt.thread.SWTUIThreadProcessor$1.run(SWTUIThreadProcessor.java:74)

Please assist.  Would love to know why something that should be basic like reading a positional file is not so straight forward in this studio.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi
It is easy to read positional file using Talend Studio, however, it seems there is an installation issue on your studio, refer to this documentation, only Java 8 or 11 is a supported Java version, can you please try to degrade your Java version to 11 and restart studio.
https://help.talend.com/reader/LttzgwOFiGHMMQZAUlZfMg/tHEyjp1YQPF0teohJoBueA

BTW, don't install studio in a path which contains special characters such as blank space, "-".

Regards
Shong

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi
It is easy to read positional file using Talend Studio, however, it seems there is an installation issue on your studio, refer to this documentation, only Java 8 or 11 is a supported Java version, can you please try to degrade your Java version to 11 and restart studio.
https://help.talend.com/reader/LttzgwOFiGHMMQZAUlZfMg/tHEyjp1YQPF0teohJoBueA

BTW, don't install studio in a path which contains special characters such as blank space, "-".

Regards
Shong