Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KaukoMetsahovi
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Best practise for open app selection?

Hi Guys!

My client use to have selections (like current year) when opening their Qlikview app. Now when we have moved their app on Cloud (+Qlik Sense convert), I was looking best practise.

Currently I have made the required selection on the Dashboard (like Year=2024), created a bookmark, I set the bookmark as public and default.

Do you agree this practise or do you have better? Any ideas how to set up a calculated selection(like Year = Year(today())?

Qlik Cloud Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows 

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

Insofar as setting the default bookmark, I would say that having a dynamic default such as Year(Today()) is better if it's valid for your use case. This can be done by clicking the search icon on the Year field and then entering =Year=Year(Today()) and hitting Enter on your keyboard (don't select the value with your mouse). You can then save that as a default bookmark.

Some people prefer to have Year be non-mandatory and use expressions that force the most recent year if none has been selected, along the lines of:

If(Count(distinct Year)>1, Sum({<Year = {"Year(Today())"} >} Value, Sum(Value))

I'm personally not a fan of this approach and would prefer the first approach.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

Insofar as setting the default bookmark, I would say that having a dynamic default such as Year(Today()) is better if it's valid for your use case. This can be done by clicking the search icon on the Year field and then entering =Year=Year(Today()) and hitting Enter on your keyboard (don't select the value with your mouse). You can then save that as a default bookmark.

Some people prefer to have Year be non-mandatory and use expressions that force the most recent year if none has been selected, along the lines of:

If(Count(distinct Year)>1, Sum({<Year = {"Year(Today())"} >} Value, Sum(Value))

I'm personally not a fan of this approach and would prefer the first approach.

KaukoMetsahovi
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thank you for your quick reply! This =Year=Year(Today()) - approach is working fine in my case and it helps to resolve the dynamic selection needed.

AdamBS
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

I'd recommend using the DECLARE calendar generated by Qlik Sense Data Manager.  Then your bookmark can be YearsAgo = 0.

Adam Barrie-Smith
iOCO Analytics Solutions
GregWoodard
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

I agree with Adam, a calendar works wonders especially if you have other flags like current month, current year, current fiscal year, etc.  Those can then be used as bookmarks very easily.