Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nikonmike
Contributor III
Contributor III

Adjusted Sales calculation

I have a need to show on a graph raw sales and sales adjusted for menu price changes over time.  I can almost get this to work for a single location, but once I add the 2nd or more location(s) it breaks.

The final result will look something like this.  it's something like showing today's sales in yesterday's dollars.

Menu Adjusted DA2.PNG

There are several challenges i need to overcome:

• The starting year will change based on selections
  • The data is by period (we have 13 operating periods in a year), but in most cases the graph will be by year
  • Each location may have a different starting point based on when they opened.  
  • Each location could have a different "menu factor"

I have attached a table of made up data as an example.  The formula I used to create the column "Initial Menu Factor" is:

aggr(min(Total <[Unit]> MENUFACTOR), Unit, Period, FY)

This almost works, but note that the amount calculated for Location 1 is 2.7731, but should be 2.7741.  It calculated 2.7731 because it was the lowest amount for that Location for the time frame selected.  I am sure this is a result of me using MIN in the aggr function.  For the other 2 locations, the formula works only because the first date is also the lowest amount.

"Incremental Factor" is calculated as:

(Aggr(Avg(MENUFACTOR),Unit,Period,FY))/
(aggr(min(Total <[Unit]> MENUFACTOR), Unit, Period, FY))

"Menu Adjusted Sales" is calculated as:

Sum(Net_Sales)/

((Aggr(Avg(MENUFACTOR),Unit,Period,FY))/
(aggr(min(Total <[Unit]> MENUFACTOR), Unit, Period, FY)))

These work in a table (except the MIN issue) because it's working on it a row at a time.  But once I try and graph it and combine multiple locations the aggr function doesn't work.

What I need it to do is calculate the Menu Adjusted Sales for each period for each Location and then combine them by year on the graph.

1 Reply
nikonmike
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Any ideas or questions?