Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterkunhardt
Contributor III
Contributor III

Associating Columns on Partial Match

I am attempting to create an SMS Monitoring system to evaluate deliverability, and I'm trying to match an SMS message with a recipient phone number to a table of countries with country phone prefixes as the key. I would simply grab the recipient phone # field with something like LEFT(sms.recipient, 4) in order to get a value that matches the country data perfectly, but unfortunately country prefixes and area codes are not of a standard length, and my recipient field does not include a delimiter between the prefix and the rest of the phone number.

In SQL the join is quite easy: with a column on my country data table "Phone_Code" in which the entries appear as:

+1%

+20%

+225%

etc

and phone numbers as:

+10000000

+560000000

+2250000000

etc

I can simply join to the recipient phone:

INNER JOIN country_data ON country_data.phone_code LIKE sms.recipient

But my understanding is that Qlik is looking for an exact match only in this case. Unfortunately I can't effect the join in the load statement (to my knowledge) as the Country Data table is from a different Connection source as the SMS data, (and cannot be moved, SMS data is from a replica db and cannot be modified) so I'm defining the join in the Data Manager.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

0 Replies