Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LauraMorris
Contributor III
Contributor III

Bar Chart to show count between dates

I have a data set:

ID

StartDate

EndDate

I want to create a bar chart with date on the x-axis and a count of active IDs on the y-axis but need to do it in the app not the loader.

I know I can do this by creating a new table in the data load editor by doing:

[ActiveDates]:
noconcatenate LOAD
ID,
date(StartDate+IterNo()-1) as ActiveDate
while date(StartDate+IterNo()-1)<=EndDate;
load
resident DataTable;

but there are approx 5 million IDs and each has something between 1 year and 5 years worth of dates to iterate over so this is not a  practical resolution.

Labels (1)
1 Reply
zwilson_borg
Contributor III
Contributor III

The main thing you'll need is a calendar for your entire date range that isn't connected to your data. So for example if your earliest start date is 1/1/2016 and your last date is 6/21/2020 - you'll need a daily calendar for that entire range. 

Once that is in place you can just use that Date as the dimension and the following expression as the measure =SUM( Aggr( IF(Date >= [StartDate] and Date <= [EndDate], 1,0),Date,ID)). This uses the AGGR function to aggregate on the calendar date field and ID with a conditional if statement where it does the validation if the ID was valid during the time period. If so it returns 1 and is summed for that day.

You will need to check your edge cases for missing start dates/end dates. If this can occur you can either fix it in the backend script or use OR/ISNull statements to manage these cases.