Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goncalo
Contributor III
Contributor III

Capitalize all letters based on length of the word

Hello,

I have a column with texts that is used to classify specific codes. These texts are all in upper case, but I need to convert them in order to have only the first character in upper case.

However, I have some exceptions in which there are acronyms that should be all in upper case, so the CAPITALIZE() function will not work only by itself.

Is there a way to have a formula in the script that can only apply the capitalize function for words with more than 3 characters?

Examples of the expected output.

Capture.PNG

Thanks

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

You could do this using either Subfield(), followed by if(Len(SplitText)<=3,Upper(SplitText),SplitText), and then concatenate the results again, or you achieve the same thing by looping through each individual line based on the number of spaces it contains. If your strings are similar to those in your example - no more than three "words" per line - you could just spell out Subfield(Text,' ',1) & ' ' & Subfield(Text,' ',2) & ' ' & Subfield(Text,' ',3)  with the same if condition as above.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

You could do this using either Subfield(), followed by if(Len(SplitText)<=3,Upper(SplitText),SplitText), and then concatenate the results again, or you achieve the same thing by looping through each individual line based on the number of spaces it contains. If your strings are similar to those in your example - no more than three "words" per line - you could just spell out Subfield(Text,' ',1) & ' ' & Subfield(Text,' ',2) & ' ' & Subfield(Text,' ',3)  with the same if condition as above.

Goncalo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Many thanks for the quick reply and guidance! I checked and only had texts with 4 separate "words" per line, so I came up with the following formula based on your second suggestion:

if(SubStringCount(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ') + 1 = 1, // One word

if(Len(SubField(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1)) <=3 ,TXT_PROFITCENTER2,Capitalize(TXT_PROFITCENTER2)),

if(SubStringCount(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ') + 1 = 2, // Two words

if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1)))&' '&
if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2))),

if(SubStringCount(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ') + 1 = 3, // Three words

if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',1)))&' '&
if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2)))&' '&
if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3))),

if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',2)))&' '&
if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',3)))&' '&
if(len(Subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',4)) <=3 , subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',4),Capitalize(subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ',4)))
)
)
)
as TXT_PROFITCENTER3,

It may not be the most "elegant" solution, but it is working as expected.

Do you have a simpler alternative that would be flexible enough to accommodate a scenario if there are more than "4" words in the future?

Or
MVP
MVP

As mentioned in my original post, a more robust solution would be to use Subfield(Text,' ') to split the text into rows and then re-concatenate them while applying Upper() as required, or using a loop to check each row N number of times where N is the count of whitespaces in the string.

Goncalo
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks again! I'm not very experienced with Qlik, so thanks for your patience.  I tried to apply your subfield and re-concatenate solution.  I'm not sure if there is an underlying assumption that requires the creation of temporary tables to do the splitting and concatenate steps, I assumed yes. The following worked and it overcame the need to do the copy and paste approach.

t1:
Load
Distinct(TXT_PROFITCENTER2) as TXT_PROFITCENTER2 
Resident Profitcenter;

t2:
Load
TXT_PROFITCENTER2,
    subfield(TXT_PROFITCENTER2,' ') as PC_Temp1,
    RowNo() as Order
Resident t1;

t3:
Load *,
    if(Len(PC_Temp1)<=3,PC_Temp1,Capitalize(PC_Temp1)) as PC_Temp2
Resident t2;

Left Join (Profitcenter)

Load
TXT_PROFITCENTER2,
concat(PC_Temp2,' ',Order) as TXT_PROFITCENTER4
Resident t3
Group By TXT_PROFITCENTER2;
Drop Tables t1, t2, t3;
Or
MVP
MVP

That looks right to me. I think this approach is likely to be easier to read and also provide better performance compared to a loop that doesn't split the line with a temporary table, though the latter would also be possible.