cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jelindbe
Partner - Contributor III

Combining measurements

I have two kinds of measurements. One measurement is used for static information. This measure shows last observed year if the user does not select year - typically in a kpi (see measurement 1). The other measurement is used to show information through years - typically in a line chart (see measurement 2). The measurements are like this:

1)

if(GetSelectedCount(Year)=0,

Sum({<Year={$(=MAX({$<Sales -= {'=(NULL())'} >}Year))}>}Sales),

Sum(Sales))

2)

Sum(Sales)

As they are constructed I cannot use measurement 1 in a line graph for example. I would like to combine measurement 1 and 2 into a single measurement so that they will display information regardless of chart type. The main reason - it will not be easy to maintain when I have several 'dualistic' measurements of the same kind.

8 Replies
sunny_talwar

Why can't you use this in a line chart? I think you should be able to use this... unless I am missing something?

If(GetSelectedCount(Year) = 0,

Sum({<Year = {$(=Max({$<Sales = {"*"}>} Year))}>} Sales),

Sum(Sales))

jelindbe
Author

I have prepared an example. In the first line graph I use measurement 2) for both lines. In the second graph I have substituted the red line with measurement 1). As you see the result is a dot (giving the result for MAX year). It will be like this (GetSelectedCount(Year) = 0) unless I actively chooses several years from the filter pane.

example.png

sunny_talwar

So, what exactly do you wish to see happen in your second chart?

jelindbe
Author

When a user has not selected any years, I wish the second chart to display exactly like the first chart.

sunny_talwar

And what will you see when something is selected by the user?

jelindbe
Author

When the user has selected one or several years, I want the line chart to display the years accordingly.

sunny_talwar

Then why can't you just use Sum(Sales)? That seems to be exactly what you are looking for... what do you need measurement for?

jelindbe
Author

I CAN use Sum(Sales), but the problem is to maintain double sets of expressions. I have the same duplicate issue for several measures. That is duplicates of names (with slightly differences), expressions (with slightly differences), label expressions (with slightly differences 🙂 and descriptions (which will be the same, but needs to be updated two places when necessary). I hoped there could be a more rational possible solution.