Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rmadursk
Contributor III
Contributor III

Conditional (If) not working as expected comparing strings.

I have a gauge I'm building, and I want it to display the number of WIndows OS in a table with multiple types of OS in it.

If I put the values in a Table Chart. I get this:

rmadursk_0-1702580177424.png

so my Wildmatch syntax ( =wildmatch(os, '*Wind*') ) returns true as expected for Windows.

When I put this into my Guage as an if statement it doesn't equate to true.

rmadursk_1-1702580381285.png

the syntax I'm using at the moment is =if(wildmatch(os, '*Wind*'), 10, 20). Seems like this should display 10, not 20. What fundamental thing am I missing here?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi, when you have a dimension each table row is checked agains the dimension value on that row, when setting the expression in a gaude, with differnt values for os, os will be null().

Maybe with: =if(wildmatch(Concat(distinct os,';'), '*Wind*'), 10, 20)

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi, when you have a dimension each table row is checked agains the dimension value on that row, when setting the expression in a gaude, with differnt values for os, os will be null().

Maybe with: =if(wildmatch(Concat(distinct os,';'), '*Wind*'), 10, 20)

rmadursk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Worked like a champ, thank you.  Any pointers on some documentation (or just search terms) for that behavior would be appreciated.  

rubenmarin

Hi, in general, if you ask for a field and that field has different values, it returns null, so different values needs to be in an aggregation function to return a unique value to compare. Aggregation funcions could be: Sum(), Avg(), Maxstring(), Concat()... something that expects different values and does an operation with all of them to return a unique value.

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/May2023/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/Scripting/Aggrega...

rmadursk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Perfect. Thanks again.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Another good explanation of the need to use an aggregation function is https://community.qlik.com/t5/Design/Use-Aggregation-Functions/ba-p/1475833

-Rob

rmadursk
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That one's going in my favorites list.

Thanks

Ron