Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bindiya
Contributor III
Contributor III

Display alternate text for NULL

Hi,

I have a fact table (f_table) and dimension table (d_table) with below fields.

f_table: country_cd, measure_1

d_table: country_cd, country_desc

In Qlik Sense data manager, I associate both the tables on country_cd field. 

Now I add a bar chart to display measure_1 against country_desc. There are many country codes in my fact table which are not in dimension table. All these are displayed against '-' in my bar chart. But I want to display it as 'Unknown'.

QS - Question.jpg

I tried changing the dimension (in bar chart) from just "country_desc" to "if(isnull(country_desc), 'Unknown',country_desc)" but it does not help.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

You can use the "ApplyMap" function or "if(isnull(country_desc), 'Unknown', country_desc)" in the script to create a new field with alternate text for NULL values.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

You can use the "ApplyMap" function or "if(isnull(country_desc), 'Unknown', country_desc)" in the script to create a new field with alternate text for NULL values.

BrunPierre
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

Just substitute the "country_desc" dimension with Coalesce(country_desc, 'Unknown')

marcus_sommer

I suggest to populate the missing records within the dimension-table with a simple concatenation, like:

concatenate(d_table) load distinct country_cd, 'unknown' as country_desc
resident f_table where not exists(country_cd);

Bindiya
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I tried coalesce too and it did not work either.

Bindiya
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for the suggestion. ApplyMap worked.

Bindiya_0-1713364282413.png

Regarding the other suggestion, considering my original/before script (from the above screenshot), where would you recommend adding "if(isnull(country_desc), 'Unknown', country_desc)" logic? 

Bindiya
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you for the suggestion.

Here is my data:

Bindiya_0-1713293443034.png

1. This is what I had tried before. Imported 2 tables, associated them on country_cd field, added a table visual and added fields from d_table just to see what values it holds and got below result.

Bindiya_1-1713293646281.png

2. Now in load editor, I created a new section after auto generated one, added below script and got the same result as in #1. I.e. description for 999 is still '-'.

Script: "concatenate(d_table) load distinct country_cd, 'unknown' as country_desc
resident f_table where not exists(country_cd);"

Not sure where I went wrong.

marcus_sommer

I missed the red-marked part within the above suggestion:

resident f_table where not exists(country_cd, country_cd);

Bindiya
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Still did not get expected results.

marcus_sommer

I wasn't careful enough with the order of the loading (which is always important by exists-approaches and which require sometimes some extra steps) but this one will work:

f_table: load * from f;
d_table: load *, country_cd as temp from d;

resident f_table where not exists(temp, country_cd);
drop fields temp;