Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_fulcher
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Displaying leading spaces in field selection box

Hi All,

I have a field within my data set in which some entries have leading spaces. I have used 

SET Verbatim=1; 

to ensure that these leading spaces are loaded when I rerun the script.

However, when I display this field in a table or a field selection box the leading spaces are automatically trimmed. Is there a way to retain these leading spaces when displayed in a visualisation?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Replies
miskinmaz
Creator III
Creator III

Can you post the output you are getting along with the input data
j_fulcher
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

My input data for the field in question looks like this:

A

A.1

A.1.1

A.1.2

B

B.1

B.2

C

etc...

However when I display the field in a selection box or table the leading spaces are removed so it looks like this:

A

A.1

A.1.1

A.1.2

B

B.1

B.2

C

I am hoping to keep the leading spaces as it provides a nice visual structure to the selection options. 

I know that the data is being loaded with the spaces included because if I use the len() function the spaces are being counted, it is only when the field is displayed in a visualisation that the spaces seem to be trimmed. 

antose
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi! I tested in version February 2019 (desktop) with this results

verbatrim.PNG

j_fulcher
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks for the reply,

That is exactly what I am looking for. I am limited to the Nov 17 release at the moment so perhaps that is part of the problem?

I have found a workaround by replacing the spaces in the excel file from which the data is loaded with '.' and then using  

replace([FieldName],'.',chr(15))

in the script to replace the '.'s with spaces which has given the desired effect.

Ideally I would prefer to not have to perform this middle step of replacing spaces with '.'s.