Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ckoltam
Contributor III
Contributor III

Error in expression: ')' expected

Good evening.

I am trying to create a bar chart with the 12 months of the year as a dimension. What I want is for the chart to always show the 12 months so I need it to ignore the user's selection in the filter panel for the period.

For example: If the user selects the period 08/23/2022, the graph should also show all the months of the year.

For that I need to use this expression:

num(
{<
PERIOD=
>}
$(=(MEASURE)),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE_FORMAT))')

PERIOD => date field containing the months. It is my dimension in the graph and it is in the filter panel.

MEASURE_FORMAT => contains the number format.

MEASURE=> this measure contains the type of operation to perform. For example:

SUM(VALUE * RATE_0), SUM(VALUE * RATE_1), SUM(VALUE * RATE_2).

I could use MEASURE, but the problem is that the measure has no modifiers set. So I need to add {<PERIOD=>} to ignore the period the user selects.

The original expression works correctly on my qlik sense desktop version 14.67.13 (May 2022). The problem is that I need to replicate it on a server with version 13.62.16 (February 2020) and it gives me the error: Error in the expression: ')' expected

I really appreciate anyone who can tell me how I can fix it.

I leave the images of the set analysis.

Labels (3)
6 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

I notice that you are adding a set modifier into your NUM(). Could it be that one  that os causing your error? What happens if you remove the {<DESC_PERIOD=>} from your expression.

morgankejerhag
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Num can't have set modifiers (only aggregation functions can). If you want to always show all months you can add +sum({1} 0) at the end of the expression. For example sum(SalesAmount)+sum({1} 0)

ckoltam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for your answer. If I remove the set modifier from the expression it works, but what I need is what I get from

num($(=(EXP_MEASURE_INLINE)),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE_FORMAT))')

Plus the condition to exclude any selection made in the period field [DESC_PERIOD] so that the 12 months are always displayed.

ckoltam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks it was helpful. If I use this:

NUM(
$(=(MEASURE)),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE))'
)+SUM({1} 0)

Keeps all months, but doesn't discard the user selection for the values in the graph. If in the [PERIOD] field I select 06/30/2022, it brings me only the values of that month and the rest is shown as zero.

I used this other expression to keep the values regardless of the user's selection in the filter panel and it worked:

SUM({1} AGGR({1}

NUM($(=(MEASURE)),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE))')

,PERIOD))

About this I had a doubt. Is it possible to add set modifiers and have them work correctly? I tried, but was unsuccessful.

I must filter on the [PERIOD_ID] field the values 1,2,3,4...12. Since they contain the months of the current year. The [PERIOD] field shows more types of dates that I should ignore in the expression and keep the numbers that I mentioned.

This is the expression I tried:

sum({1<PERIOD_ID={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}>} AGGR({1<PERIOD_ID={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12}>}NUM($(=(MEASURE)),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE))'),PERIOD))

Do you know what else I can try?

Thanks.

morgankejerhag
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Maybe

num($(=(EXP_MEASURE_INLINE))+sum({1} 0),'$(=ONLY(MEASURE_FORMAT_INLINE))')

ckoltam
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks but ungratefully this doesn't ignore the user selections on the panel filter. Keeps all the months but if I select one of the values possible on the [period] field the graph shows the eleven rest of the months as zero.

I will keep trying.