Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balajibc64
Creator III
Creator III

Error while create a new connection (office 365 Sharepoint Metadata)

Hi I'm trying to create a connection from Qlik Sense to access the Sharepoint URL. When I tried to create I'm facing the issue, 

Error retrieving the URL to authenticate: ENCRYPTION_KEY_MISSING - you must manually set an encryption key before creating new connections.

I checked this error and tried to run the below command ? 

cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Qlik\Custom Data\QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage

(when I tried to run this command in the path C:\Users\QvService\AppData\Roaming\Qlik\QwcKeys\ nothing changes)

Even File modified date showing older date. 

Please suggest. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

The error message suggests that you did not provide a valid key.

Did you actually execute QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage.exe /key {key} verbatim as written here or did you replace {key} with the key that you created in the first step of the aforementioned manual?

You first need to create a valid key, which would look sth. like this: muICTp4TwWZnQNCmM6CEj4gzASoA+7xB. Replace {key} with this actual key value:

QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage.exe /key muICTp4TwWZnQNCmM6CEj4gzASoA+7xB

This would give you the desired result:

Info: Set key. New key id=qseow_prm_custom.
Info: key set successfully!

Do not use the key posted here. It's merely an example taken from the manual. You must create your own key as shown there.

View solution in original post

42 Replies
steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

It would certainly help if you could post screenshots of what you are trying to do.

balajibc64
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @steeefan Due to security reason, I'm not able to add screenshot. I will mentioned what step i did. 

Step 1: In Qlik Sense Hub, I'm creating Data connection. 

Step 2: Click on Office 365 Sharepoint  Metadata 

Step 3: Then I'm giving the our Share point URL 

Step 4: Below I tried to choose all the below options. Then i will click on Authenticate. 

Step 5: Then I faced that mentioned issue. 

Error retrieving the URL to authenticate: ENCRYPTION_KEY_MISSING - you must manually set an encryption key before creating new connections.
steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

I was able to reproduce the issue in Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows. I fixed it using this manual: Qlik Sense Enterprise on Windows: Error retrieving the URL to authenticate: ENCRYPTION_KEY_MISSING.

After following the steps there, i.e. creating a key and adding it to the web connectors, I could succesfully click "Authenticate", select a user, get an authentication token and then use that within the connector.

balajibc64
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @steeefan Yes already I try these steps but still facing issue. But while creating this key I'm getting error like 

Step 1: runas /user:MYCOMPANY\senseserver ( gave password)

Step 2: In command window, cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Qlik\Custom Data\QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage 

Step 3: QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage.exe /key {key}

Step 4: During this step 3, I'm facing this error " Error: key should be a secure random string between 32 and 4096 bytes when UTF8 encoded"

pls suggest.

"  "

steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

The error message suggests that you did not provide a valid key.

Did you actually execute QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage.exe /key {key} verbatim as written here or did you replace {key} with the key that you created in the first step of the aforementioned manual?

You first need to create a valid key, which would look sth. like this: muICTp4TwWZnQNCmM6CEj4gzASoA+7xB. Replace {key} with this actual key value:

QvWebStorageProviderConnectorPackage.exe /key muICTp4TwWZnQNCmM6CEj4gzASoA+7xB

This would give you the desired result:

Info: Set key. New key id=qseow_prm_custom.
Info: key set successfully!

Do not use the key posted here. It's merely an example taken from the manual. You must create your own key as shown there.

balajibc64
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @steeefan  you mean this is the first step I need to do ?

PowerShell demo on how to generate a key:

# Generates a 32 character base 64 encoded string based on a random 24 byte encryption key
function Get-Base64EncodedEncryptionKey {
$bytes = new-object 'System.Byte[]' (24)
(new-object System.Security.Cryptography.RNGCryptoServiceProvider).GetBytes($bytes)
[System.Convert]::ToBase64String($bytes)
}

$key = Get-Base64EncodedEncryptionKey
Write-Output "Get-Base64EncodedEncryptionKey: ""${key}"", Length: $($key.Length)"
steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

Yes. Follow all the steps in the manual.

balajibc64
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi @steeefan Sure. Where I need to run this command ? Just normal command window ?

steeefan
Luminary
Luminary

You need to run it in a PowerShell window. Either execute the three statements one by one or create a PS script and execute that.

steeefan_0-1705304493604.png