Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
surajap123
Creator II
Creator II

Future of Qlikview Developer

Hi,

I read that Qlikview Sense is developed a self service BI, so user can simply drag and drop to build or extend visual analytics.

Does it mean that there is no need to qlikview developer to build Dashboards using QlikSense?

Is Qliksense the next version of Qlikview v11??

14 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

flipside wrote:

Maybe in the future we will have users who are confident in building their own front-end objects, but I fear an explosion in pie-charts and huge data tables (with exporting capabilty of course) if I was to unleash this on them at the moment!

Thoughtful and I totally agree with your points. Especially the ones in bold & italic!

Thanks again!

Cheers,

DV

Not applicable

These are good points

Pointing that QlikView is a more detailed, in depth BI tool, I think QV would be best suited for complex views with many features and click action, while Qlik Sense could be best used with complex data models, where each business user creates graphs that best suits their needs, with a simple and neat interface

Alexander_Thor
Employee
Employee

Totally agree, but I think there is an interesting middle ground also.

As an example, internally at Qlik we ran a QlikView 11 application that tracked time spent on deals by Solution Architects. The data model was fairly complex with multiple data sources and a large user base with SA's, Managers and Team Leaders across the world using the app on a daily basis.

To be able to accommodate all of the users needs the application grew in size. But for me, that application contained 3 charts that I were interested in for my day-to-day work, sadly those three charts were on 3 different sheets and it was always a hassle trying to remember the numbers of one chart while navigating to a different sheet somewhere else.

Long story short, I'm lazy so I built my own app instead that had the charts I was interested in . That was great for me but horrible from a governance stand point as I was now running a rouge app outside of the standard deployment.

Now if I would have had Qlik Sense Server at the time I would have quickly been able to create my own sheet using the charts already in the master items or created my own chart with the dimensions and measures. Once I was happy with the result I would have been able to share that sheet with my team and effectively would have a created a small slice of the enormous data set that was highly relevant to me and my colleagues. Now that is also a take on self-service

Oh and do I need to point out that I could have done it from my iPad/Surface Pro, the data and definitions would have been centrally managed and that I could just fire up my phone in the field and check the latest numbers without even having to start up my laptop?

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

For me, I think how the two separate products are licenced is going to be very interesting.  I can see that someone building a self service type app in Qlik Sense that they can then share with a QlikView developer for them to turn it into a QlikView application for guided analytics is a very interesting proposition.  However, if the cost of having both products in an organisation is double that of having either then this perhaps is unlikely to happen.  People will opt for one or the other, and potentially lose out as a result.

How many features jump from one product to the other (perhaps Storyboarding in QlikView 12?) will also be interesting to see over time.

Steve

Not applicable

I personally feel Qlik Sense will make the job easy for technical business users. By that I mean is, if the business user is well aware about what information and how they want to see it, then they can most likely develop them in Qlik Sense (Initially)

But in most of the cases, the developers have the raw information, and they act as designers to give a WOW factor to the user, that this information can also be seen with another angle too.

A developer can only make enhancements to a well defined data model or visual element without affecting the rest of the app.

Also, All BI solutions are not that easy to just drag and drop them.

Thanks,

Angad