Skip to main content
Announcements
Accelerate Your Success: Fuel your data and AI journey with the right services, delivered by our experts. Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
george55
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Get assurance of datatype

Hi all,

I got a little bit crazy with the datatypes in Qlik, loosing so much time for converting into the right format. The problem is not the syntax, rather then to be unsure what datatype I have in front of me. I give you an example after used all types of functions: text, floor, date, date# etc..

Got 2 different fields and have put it to a measure-item, so I can compare the output. When I change the number format to every available format Qlik Sense provides,it looks in everyone exactly the same, except of "Automatic"! Even when I use functions like "Num", "IsNum" it has exact the same number.

So what does means to me? Don't know the behaviour behind "Automatic". Would be very interesting to know the dataformat Qlik is using, otherwise loosing to much time playing and try with conversions "blind".

In Excel e.g. have formulas with boolean returns, so I am sure the format is a dataformat, a string, a number or what else. 

Thanks for any useful advice.

George

Labels (1)
  • SaaS

3 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

1) What is the source?

2) Which format it is holding in the source?

3) Let us know few records, where the complex date format you didn't understand

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
george55
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Because I'm facing this problem in many situations, with different sources etc. I would like to keep it generic. My aproach in my post is:

a) find a way to find out the datatype, like in a normal database

b) if Qlik has no such feature, to make a feature request

Before I post a feature request, would like to hear from you if there is a function or something I don't know to meet my demands.

Thanks for understanding.

Anil_Babu_Samineni

May be you've missed Alt Functions? This can bring all together from different pattern of date formats. 

There might be further API's to capture them, But not default data types based on data with in the box.

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful