Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vlspyros
Contributor
Contributor

Help me understand how the Variable Input works

Hi everyone,

It is the first time that Variable Input is implemented it in my company, and I need to make sure that I understand exactly how it works.

Some of the questions that I have:

- Are the variables reset to their default value every time that the report is refresh?

- After testing, I could see that me as a user can change a value with the Variable Input and then the users can see the new value. But if other users change the value, the rest of the users cannot see that change. Is that true? Is it only the owner of the report that can only make universal changes?

Every help will be much appreciated! 🙂

Labels (2)
4 Replies
vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

- Are the variables reset to their default value every time that the report is refresh?  Yes & No, refer below

NO Incase of a variable defined in front end

QlikSense will save the last set value incase of an input variable  created on the front end using create variable UI

YES incase variable is defined in Data load Editor

let  vSomevar = 5 ;

everry time the app is refreshed the variable value will be reset to the value defined in load script

- After testing, I could see that me as a user can change a value with the Variable Input and then the users can see the new value. But if other users change the value, the rest of the users cannot see that change. Is that true? Is it only the owner of the report that can only make universal changes?

Each user is actually using their own cached version of the app,  any any changes/interactions/variables are specific to each user

Imagine userA opening an app changing a variable and every other users view getting affected due to this change, therefore it makes a lot more sense to allow users to explore data they want to by maintaining a separate session cache for each user

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.
MarcinSwiderski_BPX
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Hi Vlspyros,

Both assumptions are correct. The user changes the value of the variable only in the instance of the given application he is using (similarly, the user selections do not affect the applications shared with others). As a developer, you can assign the value of the variable that the application will be called from, but the value of the variable modified by the user will disappear after he finishes working with the application.

Best Regards 

MendyS
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi @vinieme12 
As far as I know,
the value refreshes every time the app is loaded, even if the deflation comes from the UI.
you can read about it here - 
https://community.qlik.com/t5/App-Development/Reset-variables-on-qlik-sense-reload/td-p/1952961

vinieme12
Champion III
Champion III

I'm not able to reproduce this scenario on Nov 22 patch 4

Vineeth Pujari
If a post helps to resolve your issue, please accept it as a Solution.