cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III

IF with And Operator

I am creating an If statement which is connected to a variable and having trouble getting it to run. 

I could get it to run when i had just the Day set to Monday but when i tried to add the shift time i am keep getting 0 as a result. Is there a different way i should be approaching this from.  I want to see the number of MVT which occur's on a Monday and at those shift hours.

if(vdaydropdown = 'Monday' and MATCH(SHIFT_HOUR,'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'),
Count({< entry_day = {'Monday'} , SHIFT_HOUR = {'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'}>} MVT))

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I was able to get the following to work but unsure the reason why it wouldnt work with an AND clause it the if statement. 

if(vdaydropdown = 'Monday' ,
Count({< entry_day = {'Monday'} , SHIFT_HOUR = {'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'}>} MVT))

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JHuis
Creator III
Creator III

Dear Tom,

Maybe:

if($(vdaydropdown) = 'Monday' and MATCH(SHIFT_HOUR,'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'),

Or else could you give a example of your data?

tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have tried the above but no luck. Getting following error.

tomf122_0-1656513945747.png

The data i have is simple enough.  Just days and shift and then a value for MVT. I just want the count of when a row is populated not the sum. 

tomf122_1-1656514272999.png

tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I was able to get the following to work but unsure the reason why it wouldnt work with an AND clause it the if statement. 

if(vdaydropdown = 'Monday' ,

JHuis
Creator III
Creator III

The IF statement is something like if.

Maybe only use the count?

Count({< entry_day = {'Monday'} , SHIFT_HOUR = {'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'}>} MVT)

tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

I have the IF as i need to set it for each day of the week, for this example I only brought out one of the day as otherwise it was too long to read. I have it working now so thanks for your help on the matter. 

Or
MVP
MVP

Your original formula wouldn't work because you have the detailed if() evaluating outside the Count(). The If() statement would be re-evaluated for each line in the table/object, whereas what you should be doing is counting all lines that meet a certain condition.

tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Just for clarity on the matter and for future references, I needed to put the count outside the entire IF statement. 

Would the below be a more acceptable solution.

COUNT(if(vdaydropdown = 'Monday' and MATCH(SHIFT_HOUR,'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'),
{< entry_day = {'Monday'} , SHIFT_HOUR = {'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'}>} MVT), 

if(vdaydropdown = 'Tuesday' and MATCH(SHIFT_HOUR,'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'),
{< entry_day = {'Tuesday'} , SHIFT_HOUR = {'07','08','09','10','11','12','13','14'}>} MVT)) 

Or
MVP
MVP

Assuming vdaydropdown is a variable, or a field that only has a single value selected, there's no problem having that part of the if() statement outside the count. However, anything pertaining to the detailed rows (in this case, SHIFT_HOUR) has to be inside of the aggregation function so it is evaluated within the scope of the aggregation. What you wrote actually translates to:

If the only value of vdaydropdown is Monday, and the only value of SHIFT_HOUR matches 07 through 14, then Count(something).

Since there are multiple values of SHIFT_HOUR, this doesn't evaluate to true.

Wouldn't it be easier to have your users make a selection on entry_day rather than using a variable and if/sets? That seems to be what you're doing anyway.

tomf122
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

You make some great points which I didn't think of. I have only started using Qlicksense for the last month or two and have been basically training myself so still a lot of areas I need improvement in. The reason for using two variables is I needed to split the shift hours into a Day/ Evening shift which is why i am using the Match function for shift. I do have a variable set up for the day of the week as this allows them to see the productivity across a certain day.  Below is the chart's i was creating which would show the output each shift has completed.    

tomf122_0-1656587231059.png