cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdean1012
Contributor III
Contributor III

Import Specific Range of Cells from Excel

When using an Excel workbook as a data source, is it possible to specify a specific table array or range of cells to read?  The source file is highly formatted, and I only want some of what it contains.

I want to read something like D5:AA50, for example.

THANKS

Labels (2)
3 Replies
Lisa_P
Employee
Employee

Qlik help has a suggestion:

Use named areas

If you only want to read a part of a sheet, you can select an area of columns and rows and define it as a named area in Microsoft Excel. Qlik Sense can load data from named areas, as well as from sheets.

Typically, you can define the raw data as a named area, and keep all extra commentary and legends outside the named area. This will make it easier to load the data into Qlik Sense.

jdean1012
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, I have no control over the source spreadsheet format and need to consume them as-is.

For understanding, what is the syntax for selecting only a named area?

Or
MVP
MVP

It's a bit clunky, but you can use filters for this. Should be:

(ooxml, no labels, table is Sheet1, filters(
Remove(Col, Pos(Top, 4)),
Remove(Col, Pos(Top, 3)),
Remove(Col, Pos(Top, 2)),
Remove(Col, Pos(Top, 1))

Remove(Row, Pos(Top, 4))

Remove(Row, Pos(Top, 3))

Remove(Row, Pos(Top, 2))

Remove(Row, Pos(Top, 1))

));

This is one of those things that are actually easy to do in QlikView, since there's a wizard for it, but is a bit of a lost art in Qlik Sense since it lacks a matching wizard. Note that Qlik does not recommend using these functions in Sense, but there's no explanation as to why this is the case or whether there's a Sense-specific option that does the same thing:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/May2021/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/functions-state...