Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nils_jakob
Contributor II
Contributor II

Limit a dimension

Hi

I'm developing my first app in Qlik Sense. I only work with expressions in the visualization part, not in the script.

I do have difficulties in limiting the dimensions the way I want in charts. 

For example I have a line chart where the dimension i year and the measure is actual and budget. The years go from 1970 to 2019. In the line chart I only want to show 2017-2019 (without the users need to select this manually. How can I solve this?

Another example is a bar chart showing the budget deviation per line in the financial statements. The bar chart is now showing all the lines including the aggregated sums. I want to show only the costs, and none of the aggregated sums. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance and happy new year,

Nils Jaklob 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

You can either use a calculated dimension or use set analysis. Set analysis will be more appropriate, but there is a use case of calculated dimension as well.

Set Analysis will be used within your expression. Assuming the expression is Sum(Measure), you will change it to this

Sum({<YearField = {">=2017<=2019"}>}Measure)

or if this is based Max Year, then this

Sum({<YearField = {">=$(=Max(YearField) - 2)<=$(=Max(YearField))"}>} Measure)

Calculated dimension

If(YearField >= 2017 and YearField <= 2019, YearField)

or if this is based on max year

If(YearField >= (Max(TOTAL YearField) - 2) and YearField <= Max(TOTAL YearField), YearField)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sunny_talwar

You can either use a calculated dimension or use set analysis. Set analysis will be more appropriate, but there is a use case of calculated dimension as well.

Set Analysis will be used within your expression. Assuming the expression is Sum(Measure), you will change it to this

Sum({<YearField = {">=2017<=2019"}>}Measure)

or if this is based Max Year, then this

Sum({<YearField = {">=$(=Max(YearField) - 2)<=$(=Max(YearField))"}>} Measure)

Calculated dimension

If(YearField >= 2017 and YearField <= 2019, YearField)

or if this is based on max year

If(YearField >= (Max(TOTAL YearField) - 2) and YearField <= Max(TOTAL YearField), YearField)

nils_jakob
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks. It works 🙂

OmarBenSalem

If this works, then please like Sunny's post and ACCEPT his answer as a solution; that way:

1) You thank him for his contribution (we're not payed to respond, we also have jobs... a thank you is, and always will be welcome)

2) the thread is closed.

Thanks 🙂

KishoreSuri
Creator
Creator

Hi Sunny,

We have  a requirement that Dimension be a variable and wants the same dimension to control with 'N' Value. We want to use this variable dimension in Trellis Container.

For ex: We have a list of dimensions(Customer, country,state,region) and have taken this dimension as a variable $(vDim) with Sum(Amt) expression. This variable taken in a filter and Bar chart in Trellis container wants to change as per filter selection.

We want to control Top N values (Values = Customer/ country/state/region) in dimension.

We used the expression "=If($(vDim) > 0 and $(vDim) <= 10, $(vDim))" ,but getting error as "expression incorrect ')' expected".

Please help us.

Thanks,

Kishore S

Thanks,
Kishore S
Arnon_Yaffe
Contributor II
Contributor II

Thank you very much,

What would be the syntax of the expression in order to limit the Top N largest items in the dimension?

Thanks