Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattcorke
Contributor II
Contributor II

ODBC connection for multiple Excel files - will not work

Hello,

I have multiple Excel files in a folder and each has several sheets. The table structure for each file and sheet is the same. I am trying to run a loop so that all the data is input and auto-concatenated. The ODBC connector works when linked to a single Excel file, but I get a variety of error messages when trying to get it to look at all the Excel files.

I have used a script posted on here and searched for anything else that might help, but haven't had any luck yet. I have set up the System DSN with 'Driver do Microsoft Excel' and that is currently linked to the Excel file that works. Do I need to change this to make it look at all the files in the folder? I tried not linking to a specific file but that didn't work. Or perhaps it is the syntax used for the 'Lib Connect To' statement?

Below is the script I am using. I have commented out the parts that I was using to try and loop through multiple files.

// LET vFilePath = 'C:\Users\****\Assessment data';

// FOR EACH file in FileList('$(vFilePath)\*.xlsx'); // Loops each excel file in the given Folder

//In order to get the file information from SQLtables command making use of the ODBC connection format

LIB CONNECT TO 'Excel';//DBQ=$(file);

SheetNames:

SQLtables; // Loads all sheet names in the Excel file.

DISCONNECT;

FOR index = 0 to NoOfRows('SheetNames')-1 // Loops for each sheet in the Excel file.

LET sheetName = PurgeChar(PurgeChar(Peek('TABLE_NAME', index, 'SheetNames'), Chr(39)), Chr(36));

if not WildMatch(sheetName,'*xlnm*') then //In case your sheet contains any filter or other

Assessment_Data_Temp:

Load

StudentID,

Set as Assessment.Class,

[Year group] as Assessment.YearGroup,

Subject

From $(file)(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [$(sheetName)]);

ENDIF

NEXT index

DROP TABLE SheetNames;

// NEXT Any help is greatly appreciated.

Getting this to work would be amazing!

Thanks in advance,

Matt

0 Replies