Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense 1.1 - long connect times with Direct Query

Hi,

I'm experiencing extremely long connect times using Direct Query and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for improving performance.

I'm using Qlik Sense 1.1 connecting to an Amazon RDS database. Because the table I want to read is so big (100 million plus rows), I'm using Direct Query (in-memory won't work for me). It's taking 12 minutes for my load script to get to the point where it's reading in fields. There's a big delay before each field is loading too - 4 to 5 minutes before the field is loaded. On the same machine, I'm using SQL directly and I'm getting data back in a fraction of that time.

Here's my load script.

LIB CONNECT TO 'RDS';

Trace Name of table;

[Name of table]:

DIRECT QUERY

dimension

key_field_id,

`field_id2`,

`field_id3`,

value

FROM `database`.`table`;

Anyone got any ideas for why it's taking 12 minutes before I'm seeing data being read in? Any idea why there's a delay of 4 to 5 minutes before each field is read in?

1 Reply
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You can try connection pooling. When a connection to a database is made a new connection is made and destroyed every time a user connects and disconnects.

Database service provider can implement a pooling technique that can allow  multiple connection objects from a resource pool to be shared transparently among the requesting clients. Basically, connections are not destroyed but are released after use into a pool of connections.

The load script syntax to setup the pooling capability is as follows:

SET DirectConnectionMax=10;

The default setting is 1.