Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Qlik Sense: Simple line chart visualization with date on x-axis

Hi all,

I'm brand-new to Qlik and really want to love it, but I must admit that right out the gate, I'm completely baffled on how to do even the simplest-seeming thing.

I'm trying to create a dashboard for an IVR system that takes several million calls a month, so I'm playing around with an extract of 3 days' worth of data until I get my feet wet. The first visualization I tried to create is a line chart showing number of calls into the system charted over time. My x-axis data is in the form of timestamps:

9/12/2014 12:00:15 AM

9/12/2014 12:00:17 AM

9/12/2014 12:00:22 AM

etc.

When I wrap the variable (StartTime) in the Date#( ) function it converts it to the long integer-looking data

etc.

My y-axis is a simple count of CallID's.

No matter how I create the line chart, it tries to display every value of the date, either as-is without wrapping it in Date#(), or as those long numbers. I can't figure out how to format the axis to create intervals based on day (which would be 3 values since it's 3 days' worth of data), or hour (72 values over a 3-day period, presumably I'd be able to display them grouped to whatever # of hours makes sense.

Anyhow, I'm sure I must be missing something extremely obvious, and hopefully once it's pointed out, I can figure other things out as well, but I've literally scoured the documentation and forums, watched videos, and tried a million things, without any success.

Thanks in advance for your help!

11 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi again

Now that the long weekend is over I'm back at it.

I actually had a call with Qlik this afternoon that was very helpful. I incorporated Jonathan's ideas plus a bit of extra magic. I'll post more of my ultimate solution when it takes more shape.

Thanks again for all the input!

jcampbell
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Attached is the error from the full data reload - doesn't reveal much more.