Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krilk
Contributor II
Contributor II

Reset Qlik timeout with WebSockets

Hello.

We've got a business requirement to work around the Qlik virtual proxy timeout. Hence it is impossible to change the URL that the user is directed to upon timeout logout, we've developed an extension that would keep it's own internal counter, and display a modal before scheduled Qlik timeout would occur, giving the user a chance to 'refresh' their session, or be redirected to one of our URLs.

We are resetting our internal timer on every click within the page, however for the above solution to be successful, we also need to reset the Qlik internal timer at the same time. So far, we're sending WebSocket messages to the engine:

OpenDoc -> ClearUndoBuffer (chose something that would be relatively non-intrusive to the user, yet would communicate with the engine (?)).

Now this *seems* to work in our dev environment and delays the Qlik timeout successfully. This is however not the case on the UAT and PROD environments. Responses for all environments are the same :

{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"OnAuthenticationInformation","params":{"userId":"xx","userDirectory":"INTRANET","logoutUri":"ws://xxx:80/qps/user","mustAuthenticate":false}}
14:36:49.400 VM88614:34 

{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"OnConnected","params":{"qSessionState":"SESSION_ATTACHED"}}
14:36:49.410 VM88614:34

{"jsonrpc":"2.0","id":1,"result":{"qReturn":{"qType":"Doc","qHandle":1,"qGenericId":"a6aa9747-597b-4e26-aaf2-4d1987b05020"}}}

With this, I need help with the following:

1. Is the WebSocket strategy a valid one, is there a better message to send than ClearUndoBuffer  that would be more robust in what we're trying to achieve?

2. What configurations should I be looking for to see why there are differences between dev & uat/prod environments in respect to the current approach?

I realise we're trying to hack our way through the functionality that was never intended to work this way, but our experience is that it's always the case with Qlik, combined with poor documentation simple things like these become real challenges.

Thank you

Labels (6)
1 Reply
ux
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! Did you manage to find any strategy around this? We are in the same situation, and I can't find any documentation on the WebSocket strategy. 

Sometimes the QIX-session seem to timeout but we don't know why - and it's hard to get any error messages. My idea is that we should keep the WebSocket connection open for the whole user session to be able to get error messages from the QIX-engine, but I might be wrong.

What do you think?