Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shirleyc40
Creator
Creator

Restricting fields shown in selection tool

Hello

I was wondering if it is possible to restrict the fields shown in the selection tool. On default, it shows all the dimensions loaded into the app, but if I just want to filter on either date, location, seller only, is it possible to have the selection tool only show those 3 options?

Update: I found out that you can show single Master Dimensions, but then I'm wondering if there is a way to show calculated dimensions. Like if I make month(eventDate) a master dimension, is there a way to show it in the selection tool

Labels (2)
1 Reply
QlikTom
Employee
Employee

If you want to hide certain fields, not only from the selection tool, but from dropdown menus, and auto-complete you have a few options. 

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/latest/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/LoadData/hiding-fields-fro...

You can choose to hide fields from analysis in the Data Manager or you can use either of these variables in the data load editor (script):

Alternatively, in the data load script, you can use:

TAG FIELD <field name> WITH '$hidden';

This can even be combined with a mapping table stored externally.
https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/latest/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Sense_Hub/Scripting/ScriptRegularSta...

Some things to consider when hiding fields:
1) Fields will not be shown in interface elements in analysis, this includes the selection tool. Master Dimensions WILL display in the selection tool however, even if based on a hidden field. 

2020-06-26_16-32-16.png

2) A user can still use a hidden field in expression if they know the exact name of the field, although auto-complete will not work and the field will not be highlighted in orange like usual. The expression will still validate as "OK" in the expression editor. 
2020-06-26_16-15-09.png

3) If a user can view the data model, they will see all the fields. 
2020-06-26_16-21-42.png

It is possible to develop your app and then go back and hide fields you don't wish users to see in analysis before publishing the app. I hope this helps!