Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gmenoutis
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Row level $ evaluation

It seems to me that whenever a dollar sign evaluation changes as string (not as underlying values) per row, this always fails.

Consider the following simple .qvf. Script:

T:
LOAD *,'A ' & operator & ' B' as formula;
LOAD * Inline[
A,B,operator
5,2,*
3,4,+
];

As you can see, [formula] provides a perfectly correct string for evaluation. Sure enough, if I copy-paste the exported values into the formula ediotr, it works for each seperate line/ However, using a measure $(=formula) returns nothing.

Is this behaviour documented? Is the engine indeed incapable of using different-per-row-formula dollar sign evaluation? Is there any way to implement this differently in cases where it's needed?

5 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Yes, it's known that $ expansion happens outside chart context. Alternatively, if script solution is an option you could try using evaluate(), like:

Evaluate(A&operator&B)  as  result

gmenoutis
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

LOAD *, evaluate(formula) as eval;
LOAD *,'A ' & operator & ' B' as formula;

Tried it, doesn't work.

It seems to me that evaluate it just script syntax version of the exact same functionality.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

While concatenating you are making a mistake, try like:

LOAD *, evaluate(formula) as eval;
LOAD *, A  & operator &  B as formula;                    // without quotes around fields

gmenoutis
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

But evaluate will still not work if the string contains a fieldname, correct?

I'm just trying to get an answer while avoiding posting a very complicated example.

tresesco
MVP
MVP

Did you try with the way I suggested? Didn't it work with sample you shared? It worked with me. 

@gmenoutis wrote:

But evaluate will still not work if the string contains a fieldname, correct?

I'm just trying to get an answer while avoiding posting a very complicated example.

Evaluate WILL work because you are not concatenating the field names (when you remove quotes) but field values. If your actual scenario is more complicated, without a sample or explanation - for sure we would not guess it correct. Just give a try...